THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Just got this sweet thang for $700 (1849 retail). Prior owner used a dozen times. Took her for a test run tonight. Didn't smoke any meat, but wanted to play with the stick burner just to see what it could do since I've never owned one. Being 20-25 degrees outside here, it was a good opportunity to see what I can expect out of this thing in the winter here in Minnesota. Even though I wasn't smoking meat, I couldn't resist the urge to throw some burgers and polish sausages on in the firebox for dinner....may as well put that fuel to good use.

Used about 1.5 chimneys full of lump to get a nice bed of coals, and within 40 minutes had the furthest corner of the main chamber up to 225. Eventually got it a little higher but backed off after using up two sticks on it. Was able to get consistent chamber temps for a couple hours with that amount of coal and two sticks. The vertical chamber on the far left never got above 140 or so, so if I want to use that in the winter I'll have to kick up my fuel a couple of notches.

Used my Grill Grates on top of a charcoal basket in the firebox and the setup did quite a number on my 1/3 lb 80/20 patties. Capped em off with some of my smoked white vermont cheddar. All delicious! A very versatile cooker.

I will likely need to do some gasket work on the vertical chamber. Any recommendations on what to buy and how to apply?

Last edited:
Use gasket tape for doors. Don’t bother using RTV silicone unless you have bad welds or covering holes. Gaskets work well for everything but the firebox.

Lavalock is what I used on my Pearsall vertical many moons ago. The gap by the latch was wide so I layered Lavalock gasket by the biggest gap. It lessened the smoke leak but didn’t eliminate it completely

Back