THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HickoryBill

I built a new smoker (electric) and was able to run some pulled pork through it this weekend.

I was originally a little concerned about having enough heating elements, but it worked just fine.

Started at 7:15 pm
Smoker 77F (outside temp)
Pork was 51F (2 Boston butts from Sams Club $1.68 lb)

At 8:15 smoker was at 225F (setpoint) but it took the whole hour to get to setpoint.
Pork Temp 85F 8:15pm
Pork Temp 101F 9:15pm
Pork Temp 132F 10:15pm

Pork Temp 204F 9:15am (Next Day)

Starting wt, 13.0 lbs
Final wt 7.3 lbs

I was pleased with the crispness of the bark, and the moistness of the inside.

PulledPork001.jpg

PulledPork002.jpg

PulledPork003.jpg

PulledPork004.jpg

PulledPork005.jpg

PulledPork006.jpg

I built the smoker from a heat& hold cabinet I got off of E-Bay for $100. I like it because it's insulated, and all stainless, inside and out with a good door. (shown with shelving removed when it was clean)

smoker003.jpg

smoker006.jpg

I mounted a second box for the wood chips and heating element under the main box so that I can cold smoke. It's also nice to be able to add more wood without opening the smoker.

smoker007.jpg

Controls are mounted on the side in an ammo box one is for the food chamber, one is for the smoke box. As soon as the wood starts to smoke the temp in the smoke box quickly shoots over the 370F setpoint, and the heat for the smoke box really doesn't come back on again until that chunk of wood is gone.

smoker004.jpg

smoker005.jpg

smoke000.jpg

I also made some pizza, but that's another story.

Pizza001.jpg

Pizza002.jpg

sweet little unit - I like the re-purposed ammo can- my dad gave me a few a LONG time ago. I did not think of them as a water tight control box... but now you got me thinking. (my wife hates it when I do that- I can already see her eyes rolling- Tally Ho!)

grats sir!

Great job on the smoker! Good looking pork & pizza too!

Very nice...thanks foe sharing...how did you cook the pizza?
Terry

In my gas grill. I used to work for a ceramics company, and have a variety of ceramic plates and ceramic boxes (called a sagger in the ceramics business). essentially made a small ceramic oven that fits in my grill. bottom plate has about 1" of clearance to to the walls.

This is key, as the hot gas needs to flow over the top of the pizza and out a hole in the lid of the ceramics box.

I'll post some photos in the next few days.

below is a link to a dough calculator that works well.

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=15

Back