First pron

So-today for lunch I made chicken salad.

Meat from one of the smoked breasts, diced up (though it's more like 'torn')
1/4 of that vidalia, also cut up
1/4 of a red pepper, diced
1/4 of a cucumber, diced
1/2 cup or so of good salsa
1/4 cheddar shreds
1/4 cup of storebought guac (forgive me, it was what I had on hand--I use it in place of mayo)

mix everything up and serve over salad (or tortillas, or rolls, whatever works for ya), then sprinkle with a bit more queso.

Turned out pretty good, though upon reflection, it would probably have been better with plain ol' mashed up avacado, and a diced up Jap would've worked wonders.

Can't take a whole lot of the credit...I've been watching (and enjoying) LMAJs Q for several years now, so the ideas aren't exactly 'new'...just my own variations of other peoples' ideas.

OK, so here's the chicken salad pron. I scored some whole wheat wraps and an avacado and rolled 'em up.

Attachments

• q salad wraps.jpg
    q salad wraps.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 23
Congratulations, you are the first person I have ever heard say they had polenta rounds just laying around.

Good job on the cook, you have some good eats for some time to come

BBQ pot pie

still going...

4 oz pork shoulder
4 oz Chuck roast
1 lg tater
1/2 a med onion
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup carrots
1 T honey
2 T BBQ sauce
dash (or three) cayenne powder

ready-made pie crust
pack o' biscuits (preheat oven for biscuits)

Dice tater and onion, saute a few minutes to get 'em soft. When done, mix in a lg bowl with other ingredients. Any ol' sauce will do, and the cayenne is to taste, obviously. Dump in pie crust (I pre-cook mine).

Get out the biscuits--put a few in oven for about 1/2 the recommended cook time. Then take 'em out, split 'em and set 'em aside. Put pie in oven for about 15 minutes. Pull it out, put it on a cookie tray with rest of biscuits, set timer for 1/2 the biscuit time. At buzzer, pull out and put the split biscuits on top of pie, return to oven 'til biscuits are done.

First attempt at biscuit crust, I'm guessin' most of you have your own, preferred crust. Thinkin' about it, some sort of cornbread would probably be killer.

Attachments

• Q pie 1.jpg
    Q pie 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 21
  • q pie 4.jpg
    q pie 4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
It's time to eat! About 5 hours for the last piece to come off, and about 20 minutes to rest before carving. About 15 minutes later, it started to HAIL, 1/2 inchers, my pool looked like it was boiling vigorously.

Here's some Brisket, some chicken parts and some Chuck. Forgot to photograph the pork, my bad. Served with a salad and a pasta & cheese dish.

I've never had smoked chuck or brisket that rare before. Did it come out tender? Or am I just blind and can't see that that's just some serious smoke ringing.

Pretty nice--coulda been better, but it was pretty nice. I think I was runnin' a bit too hot, as the outer portions were pretty 'tough', and the beef started out pretty close to the firebox, but nothing too bad. I had hit 160 internal in all the meat, but I'm now suspecting my thermometer of being a bit,...vague.

It all looks good! You should consider doing a new thread for the other foods that way they won;t get lost in the original one. Also makes it easier to search later on.

Keep on smokin'
Jim

I was curious about that, thread-wise. I liked the idea of keeping all the Q in one thread, just to sort of follow it from start til end. I'll start new threads from here on out.

Back