First pizzas on the Goldens' (live and learn)

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
This started out as a meal featuring grilled sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms either as is or as subs. It morphed into pizza, which is the first time I've made it on the Goldens' Cast Iron.

This afternoon I prepped the toppings. Sausage, both sweet and hot -

Followed by red and green peppers, looking colorful in the Lodge CI skillet -

Since the Mrs does not like onions, they're grilled separately. It's nice having room for both skillets on the grate -

Peppers are done, room for the shrooms on yet another CI skillet. Yeah, cleanup is always fun but they're seasoned well enough to make it simple -

When making pizza on the Bubba Keg I'd use the ceramic BGE platesetter, with the Lodge CI Pizza Pan on top, separated by balls of aluminum foil for an air gap. On the Goldens' the CI searing plate gets used. I then used the standard grates and placed the Pizza Pan on top of those to bring it up to gasket level -

The ball of dough is homemade, partial wheat flour, will yield two pies -

Normally on Bubba I'd be up at 500-550 for pizza, was getting close on the Goldens' -

IR gun on the Lodge CI Pizza Pan is a bit hotter than I'd like, but we'll give it a try (against my better judgment). The pie, ready to go on -

I don't have pics as I was trying to rescue the pie, but pie #1 was a giant FAIL!! Bottom was burned in spots, crust wasn't done, temps were WAY too high. This was all within the first 3 minutes.

I got it off, let the grill cool down a bit, then placed a stone between the grate and the pan and continued grilling it with minimal extra charring. Although I thought it was a huge failure, believe it or not it still tasted good and didn't really taste burnt at all. Note to self: this is NOT the Bubba Keg and it cooks pizzas differently.

So I got a bit cautious with pie #2 and used parchment, which I've never used before. Temps were a lot lower and this one took a bit longer to grill, this is after about 5 minutes -

I removed the parchment, removed the stone, set the CI pan back on the grate and brought temps up a bit more. The finished pie (I need to adjust the settings on my camera), which took about 12-14 minutes. I should have added the basil much later in the cook, but the pie was on longer than I expected. This one has onions hiding beneath all those layers. The Mrs will not go near them, except she's the one who makes the pizzas in our house (despite my Italian heritage) and did a nice job making these pies -

The bottom on this one was much better -

Not the greatest of first pizza attempts on the Goldens', but I'll remember where to set the grill temps next time.

Bottom line: dinner was still quite good.

Thanks for checking out today's cook and tonite's dinner!

-lunchman

While a simple concept- a great pizza can be "elusive" (was going to compare it to achieving a great brisket - just was not in the mood for grief :) )

sometimes you just have to accept a "quite good dinner" in lieu of perfection

give it hell next time, right? :-D

Back