First Pastrami - I'm A Believer!

When I see great Pastrami, it gives my heart a stutter step. Simply awesome! And hey that wasn't hard was it? Pastrami is pretty easy to make. You just have to go through the process and be patient. But when you bite into a Rueben with Pastrami that is cooked correctly....... wow! :) Kudos!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
When I see great Pastrami, it gives my heart a stutter step. Simply awesome! And hey that wasn't hard was it? Pastrami is pretty easy to make. You just have to go through the process and be patient. But when you bite into a Rueben with Pastrami that is cooked correctly....... wow! :) Kudos!

You nailed it. It isn't that difficult - it just takes a little time and patience. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

I never tried pastrami til I saw it cooked here and on another site, but I didn't know what I was missing. That is one good looking piece of goodness!

• Thanks

The truth will free you. :wink:

• Thanks
What's wrong with fat? It's pastrami for cryin' out loud. It's SUPPOSED to have fat. To me, anyway. :becky::thumb::thumb:

• Thanks
Sorry for the dumb question but how did you steam it ?

Not a dumb question at all - there are a lot of ways to go about it - in foil, in a pressure cooker, a Macgyver'd pan type deal, etc. What I did was use the steamer insert in a pasta pot. It fits in the pot and leaves room at the bottom of the pot for water. Once I got a boil, I dialed the stove temp down to medium and kept more of a simmer going rather than a full rolling boil.

Thanks for the quick reply !

I didn't see the link to thirdeyes recipe the first time around. After reading it I understand the different finishing methods now.

• Thanks
Beautiful hunk of pastrami Greg. Looks mighty tasty!
I've been slacking in the beef pastrami department lately, make a lot from venison. Will change that soon, thanks for the inspiration!

• Thanks
Beautiful hunk of pastrami Greg. Looks mighty tasty!
I've been slacking in the beef pastrami department lately, make a lot from venison. Will change that soon, thanks for the inspiration!

Venison pastrami sounds interesting. I'm guessing those corned venison isn't laying around in stores - do you corn then de-salinate then rub, smoke etc.?

Venison pastrami sounds interesting. I'm guessing those corned venison isn't laying around in stores - do you corn then de-salinate then rub, smoke etc.?

Yes Sir, I corn it for 5 days..... re-season for the smoke and then steam it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123467

I use the same recipe to make beef pastrami.

Yours looks killer Greg! Making me hungry, I'm going to have to make some soon. :)

• Thanks
That does look really good. I just did another FauxStrami 2 weeks ago and they are pretty hard to beat, however the real pastrami is levels above that. Trust me, you will not regret the effort. BTW the last corned beef I got was part flat and part point and had a really nice amount of fat marbled in.:-D. I have been jonesing to turn a full packer into Pastrami again and your pics just shoved me a little closer.

• Thanks
Back