First Open Flame Cook - Dry Aged T-Bones

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Been wanting to do some steaks on my new cinder block pit, (Ugly Betty), and today was the day boys. Done steaks over gas and charcoal but never over open fire....heard tell of it but never done it. I went to 5 different butcher shops looking for a couple good t-bones and wound up with 2, 28 day dry aged beauties.....14.99 a pound. I smoked some mushrooms on the kettle then tossed on some Newman's salad dressing and into the fridge. Next into the kettle was baked potatoes....when they were done the steaks and mushrooms went onto the heated pit. Seasoned shagbark and pignut hickory logs and splits were used. I did not think the expanded steel grates were quite good enough for the steaks so I added in my gassers cast iron grates on top....I love using the top of the cinder blocks for shelf space....

e7fevn.jpg

I picked up a aged piece of top sirloin for the one kid that was home....she does not like anything smokey and I do not like cooking to go to waste. The steaks after turning:

lw7qq.jpg

I wish I would have gotten a shot of these steaks before cooking.....they were a sight to behold....dry around the edges and the red colour inside a deep deep hue you do not find on wet aged beef. Gorgeous fat merling as well. I smoked the mushrooms about 35-45 minutes....doesn't take long for alot of flavour to git in em'......next thing you know they are little smoke bombs. This is almost done:

2cs6k45.jpg

I forgot to get a "money shot" of my plate before I ate it. This is what was left of the wife's steak. She likes it rare....the edge facing the camera was the bone side of the strip loin portion so it is truly rare. The rest of the steak was not quite as rare as this is:

10rl1t0.jpg

My steak was cooked a little past rare and was beauty tasting. I had a little bit that was as rare as in the picture and it was great as well. I find when you have quality beef you can go a little rarer than you are used to. This was my first time buying dry aged beef, (I have made my own a few times to good results), and I will be going back for more.

I was not expecting it to be bumper to bumper uniform because of the lighter color on the outside, but man that looks good!!!

Back