First Offset Opportunity - But It’s A Rusty Situation!

meatplusheat

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Lance
So I’m looking to get my first offset, but with my budget I can only go the used route. I found a Brinkmann Cimarron online but it has some serious rust concerns. The main camber appears to be in decent shape but the bottom of the firebox appears to be toast. I have never refurbished or built one so I was curious what this community thought since it appears many of your have had some experience with this type situation. Would this be worth the effort to replace the bottom of the firebox (best case I feel like) or maybe even replace the entire firebox (worst case). I look forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 80B80607-954B-4D51-8ABE-1F492824DF34.jpg
    80B80607-954B-4D51-8ABE-1F492824DF34.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 3B254D30-DFAA-4D2C-8823-AFAE07C7A071.jpg
    3B254D30-DFAA-4D2C-8823-AFAE07C7A071.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 22E2A1FC-D283-4B12-864E-55CE6CDD6ACD.jpg
    22E2A1FC-D283-4B12-864E-55CE6CDD6ACD.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 256
First off it depends on how much you can buy it for. If it's over $100, walk, and that's being generous. It can be saved but do you want to patch it or do it right? You really wont know the extend of the corrosion till you take a wire wheel to it to get rid of some rust. The metal is probably going to be very thin near those holes so if you're looking at welding in small patches, you'll be in for an uphill battle. If it were me, i'd expect to cut out the entire floor of the firebox and weld in new steel.

The next step down would be to get some sheet metal and after you cleanup all the rust, you can make up small patch panels to fit over the holes and rivet them in place. Then line the bottom with firebrick or else the thin steel wont last long. That fix would last several years.

Thanks for your thoughts Zak! Yes I agree $100 would be my max offer. I have been scanning the used markers for a while and it’s hard to find anything down in my budget that is made of thick material. I’d love to be the guy that stumbles into a $50 1/4” thick steel offset in great condition, but I have not been that fortunate. Plus a lot of the smokers I see being sold used online are homemade units and there is no promise the daft well so I feel like those come with added risk.

Say I buy it for $100 and spend another $300 fixing it up and mods, is a Brinkmann Cimarron a good enough smoker to have $400 invested in? Or do I save my Benjamin's and wait for a better opportunity to arise?

No way I would offer anything for that. Wait a couple weeks and it would be out by the road and grab it for free.

No. You can get a new Oklahoma Joe Highland ( very comparable) for $269 at Walmart. And start cooking on it tomorrow.

No. You can get a new Oklahoma Joe Highland ( very comparable) for $269 at Walmart. And start cooking on it tomorrow.

Ron, is the 1/4" thick steel not worth something? I understand the readiness of a new OK Joe, but don't they make those with thin metal. I'm obviously new to the offset world, but I thought thick steel was highly valued for stable temps and a long lifespan (if taken care of obviously). The seller has accepted my $50 offer. That seems like a low cost of entry to me if the bottom of the firebox can be cut out and patched and the other rust grinded away.

Cooker

If you can weld, or have a friend who will do it on the cheap, you will be fine. If you have to pay a welder, the fabrication cost might be heavy.

Ron, is the 1/4" thick steel not worth something? I understand the readiness of a new OK Joe, but don't they make those with thin metal. I'm obviously new to the offset world, but I thought thick steel was highly valued for stable temps and a long lifespan (if taken care of obviously). The seller has accepted my $50 offer. That seems like a low cost of entry to me if the bottom of the firebox can be cut out and patched and the other rust grinded away.

The pictures didn't show at work. Now that I've seen it, nope, I wouldn't pay anything for that.

I'm in the middle of restoring a Cimmaron offset right now. I shocked to see this one rust through the firebox. They're a heavy smoker. Something like 235 pounds. You won't find one of these at a big box store.

If you have the means or know how to weld it might be a fun project. Otherwise like mentioned above it could get expensive quickly.

I appreciate everyone weighing in. I do have three friends that are welders so I will be able to get free help there. Tools and labor will not be a big cost for me. It will be more about raw material cost and the time/elbow grease it would take. It’s interesting that everyone is mostly split on this. For $50 I think it might be worth giving it a shot. If it doesn’t work I could always turn it into a heavy duty direct charcoal griller.

Some more photos to show condition.

Attachments

• 3C0DBC9E-42B2-4100-9992-0026343080BF.jpg
    3C0DBC9E-42B2-4100-9992-0026343080BF.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 6FA8B252-9FFE-4E87-B77A-4BF84651E5D9.jpg
    6FA8B252-9FFE-4E87-B77A-4BF84651E5D9.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2C555376-1026-46D8-A4EC-15E47F0770D7.jpg
    2C555376-1026-46D8-A4EC-15E47F0770D7.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 54
I am in anyone's corner that is trying to rescue and get anything back in to service. Best of luck with the restoration!

These Brinkmans are Not like the current OK Joes.

They were made in the original OK Joe plant by some of the OK Joe employees and are fully welded.

They are comparable to the current Horizon cookers.

It's a shame this cooker was neglected.

If you or friends have the skills to fix it it's worth some bucks since you would be getting a cook chamber, legs, wheels, and stack. The fire box doors look usable too, so it's only the firebox itself that's a loss.

Back