First major smoke! Need suggestions!

I cooked for a small crowd a couple of weekends ago. I cooked the pork butt the day before and placed in an aluminum pan still hot and then directly into the fridge. The next day I put it in the oven at 300 degrees and cooked it until the temp was back up to about 170 or so... it pulled like a dream and was the first thing gone from the table...

Have fun and enjoy the experience. Like everyone else has said, butt is very forgiving. Even if you cook it the day of and it is not perfect, who cares. The family will still love it and you will have learned from another experience with the drum...

I didn't think you were supposed to put hot food directly into the fridge but if you reheated to 170, I guess that is ok.?

I think it would be easiest to cook the day before. That was something I was contemplating. Pull after a 2 hour rest, or just wait till the day of. Think I ought to wait. Also never thought to go with cherry and I think I am going to try that. What do you think of a cherry and hickory combo?

I've used the cherry and hickory combo and liked it. The last butt I did I used cherry and maple, which turned out well.

Back