THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Had a hankering for some good jerk chicken tonight, and decided to follow brother Phrasty's Recipe as posted here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36577

I'm glad I did! It was awesome...even the kids put it away.

Went with some bone in thighs as I caught a good deal on them today. I did hold back and used only 1 habanero(sub for scotch bonnet), and while it could have used another, I had the wife and kids to think about.

To be fair the hab wasn't as strong as I thought it might have been. Big thumbs up from the family, in fact the wife wanted me to cook it again for my sons birthday party this weekend. That's high praise as all her friends and their kids will be over eating.

Here's a little pron:

jerkchix1.jpg

jerkchix2.jpg

Plated up with a simple side tonight of coconut rice:

jerkchix3.jpg

Looks great. I'm so doing this today. Chix thawing right now.

You're gonna love it. I searched for a week looking for a great jerk marinade, and finally decided on Phrasty's. Figured how could a brethern from Jamaica be wrong? It did not disappoint. :clap:

yeah, that'll do. my wife has bunko tonight so i get a freebie. was going to grill steak, but now i may have to pull the switch and go chicken.

Nailed it! That looks awesome! :thumb:

Just as a tip though, in addition to that recipe you can try adding a little rum & honey. makes a nice difference. a dash of soy will do nicely as well. I usually use pimento wood to smoke them but you can up the pimento in the recipe also if your mood moves you :wink: :thumb:

The color on those thighs are amazing! Again, great job brother!
Cheers

Here's the jerk I did. Very good flavor but I agree with Phrasty I would have liked a salty sweet to go with it. I used 2 habs and it had such a nice burn that's still lingers in a good way 2 hours later. Thanx two both of you.
jerkchix012.jpg
jerkchix013.jpg

That looks farking awesome! I love Jamaican jerk, but never had an authentic recipe until now. Thanks for posting SmokeFan, and Phrasty, I copied the recipe from the link to my recipe book. I have a recipe that is similar, but uses blackberry juice...so I know it wasn't authentic.

Looks good SMoke Fan!!!! I went with Phrastys recipe the other day too and everybody loved it.

How did you like the coconut rice? I thought about trying it next time.

Looks good SMoke Fan!!!! I went with Phrastys recipe the other day too and everybody loved it.

How did you like the coconut rice? I thought about trying it next time.

We really liked the coconut rice. I started with 1 1/2 cup of uncooked long grain rice sauteing the dry rice in coconut oil until *some* grains just barely started to brown.

I used a whole can of coconut milk, and probably a cup of water. It was really good, but very rich. Next time, I'd probably reverse that ratio and do 1 cup of the coconut milk, and 2 cups water.

Also, I toasted about 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, mixing 1/2 c of it in the rice a few minutes before serving, and then using the remainder as a garnish on top. Opinions were mixed on that. I personally liked the toasted flavor it brought, but it was a bit much for the kids, probably 1/2 that amount and we would have been good.

Back