first high temp brisket with pics

that is too cool, I wonder if you can do the same thing with a FEC?

While researching this whole process, I remember coming across a thread on another forum about that.

look here:

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5401038883/m/6841039914

I have done a bunch of "high temp" cooks for butts, briskets, and chuck roasts on both stick and charcoal/chunk burners.
Works wonderful with great smoke flavor and all of that.
I am a fan of high temp on those cookers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"HIGH TEMP" DOES NOT WORK ON MY PELLET POOPER FEC 100!!! :oops:

The FEC burns pellets so efficiently that at temps above about 300 there is very little smoke flavor or chemicals imparted to the meat.
So, we actually reduce the first few hours of temps to leave the meat in the cooker longer and at a "less efficient" burn temp to generate flavor, bark, and smoke ring kinda stuff.

This is unique to the pellet machines to the best of my knowledge.

Otherwise, I crank the heat up and have wonderful results.

FWIW.

TIM

Yep thats us, the BBQ nerds! :-D actually, we were the Reservation Rib Revival two years ago, and changed our names this last year. We are sticking with the nerds, as it fits :roll: I didn't make it this year, but Paul (the tall guy) and his cousin Mike (the short guy) were there. I plan on being back next year. Wern't you there two years ago with the BBQCzar cookin on a DPP 40? Paul said he talked to you and your wife there this year.

Yeah, we cooked next door to Paul and Mike this year and BBQCzar and I were next door to you guys last year. Good times!

BTW, nice job on the brisket!

Man, this has me in the mood for some BBQ.... and yes I would eat that for breakfast, lunch , dinner and a bed time snack!

I have always been told slow and long is the way to go and if I didn't have the time then don't cook! But this has me thinking that when time isn't there high temp is an option for great Q too! The only question I have is how long did you cook the brisket for?

Johny.

I have always been told slow and long is the way to go and if I didn't have the time then don't cook! But this has me thinking that when time isn't there high temp is an option for great Q too! The only question I have is how long did you cook the brisket for?

Johny.

It finished in about 3 hours 45 minutes, I am assuming that since it was a small flat it finished quick.

I will be implementing this technique again this week. I am cooking a bunch of brisket and pork butt for a friends rehearsal dinner. I will cook the butts low and slow, but plan on doing the briskets this way. I'll post the results.

Yeah, we cooked next door to Paul and Mike this year and BBQCzar and I were next door to you guys last year. Good times!

BTW, nice job on the brisket!

Thanks! are you going to be in Boulder City next year as well? I plan on making it down if possible. Sounds like you finished pretty well there this year.

did another high temp cook last night, put on 30 lbs of brisket on two racks. It was loaded pretty heavy, so had to rotate the racks part way through. bottom rack to 160, foiled and moved to top. Top rack moved to bottom, and then to 160 and in foil (these finished about 45 minutes later than the others) Total cook time 5.5 hrs. I was cooking this and another 30 lbs of butt for a friends rehearsal dinner tonight. Busy, so only managed to pull out one or two pics. Maybe post em later.

Had the brisket done, rested, and then threw into the freezer for a quick chill all by 11:00 last night. of course the butt was another story. it finished off at about 3:00 AM, threw into the cooler for a rest and was back up at 4:30 pullin 30 lbs.

I am still so impressed with this method of cooking, 30 lbs of brisket in under 6 hours :-D

That looks really great--I've got to try a hot and fast brisket soon.

So with all of this talk about how great fast and hot is, what is the downside? I'm thinking potentially less smoke flavor, possibly less conversion of connective tissue to gelatin, but this is all theory. Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, from what I've read about UDS pits, one of the big advantages is the fact that the meat juices drip directly on the fire, which is far below the grate. Do you think a hot and fast cook would work on a more indirect setup, like a BGE with platesetter, or an offset?

Thanks! are you going to be in Boulder City next year as well? I plan on making it down if possible. Sounds like you finished pretty well there this year.

We finished in 4th Place Overall there. Not too shabby. We plan on going back again next year as well and we'll be sure to look for you and the rest of the Nerds.

Back