First go at dry aging

Thank you Andy and Suds. I should have specified that my intent is to make salamis et al, which I believe is slightly different than dry aging, if I’m not mistaken. Either way thank you both for the info; very helpful!

Day 21: Weight loss 3% since last week. 11.9% since the start.

Still looking good, still no mold, outside is hard as a rock.

JFjBOKuh.jpg

LzPJnPjh.jpg

Closing in on the finish line. Til next week.

This is a great thread. I'm actually dry-aging a large rib roast in the Umai bags right now.. I'm curious to see the differences in the two end products.

Keep the pics and progress coming!!

Day 28 and we're done. Weight loss since last week 2.6% Total since the start 14.2% before trimming.

EpGiIDyh.jpg

X5UjZmdh.jpg

Trimmed away the hard rind, fat & bones. Bones were 15oz.

3voF9A3h.jpg

Started with a 5.68lb. bone in rib roast. Ended up with a 2.95lb. boneless aged rib roast. 48% total weight loss including the bones.

Uq6fP3kh.jpg

1tMz8sJh.jpg

All trimmed.

cU1MaW0h.jpg

Starting shot.

RUCgtpfh.jpg

Was going to make it for Christmas, but not sure if it'll be enough for everyone, so just may make a regular one I bought the other day as a backup. Should make for good steaks.

Thanks for following along on this adventure.

Thanks for the latest update, Andy! Can't wait to see how that meat cooks up after that aging. At 2.95 lbs, two 1.47 steaks would be a filling meal for two.

Also, this would be a great opportunity to try out my flipping method which is scientifically proven to produce delicious, crusty, smoky, juicy steaks!

:mrgreen:

Looking good Andy!

Please keep us updated on what you end up doing with it!

Back