First go at dry aging

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
The Jewels had rib roast on sale for $5.99/lb. thought I'd give it a go. Going to go for 28 days, just in time for Christmas dinner. We'll see how things progress, worst case I'll buy a fresh one just before Christmas. :noidea:

Oy5ALM3h.jpg

Day 1, into the mini fridge.

3E5boXZh.jpg

IcjeVxQh.jpg

RUCgtpfh.jpg

See ya in a week...

I like it! The m currently gathering info and materials for some salami/cured meats soon myself. A tribute to my Nonno.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I had a SteakAger when they came out and while I did manage to do 3 different lengths of aging with it, there were to many issues and I got rid of it. It will be nice to know how yours goes. Good luck!!

I am interesting on trying this myself. Could you divulge the details on exactly how you are going to do this. The few Google searches I have done on this subject have led me to believe that there is more to dry aging a cut of beef than just placing it in a dedicated refrigerator for aging.

Lager,

Juggy

... Could you divulge the details on exactly how you are going to do this. ...

I am interested in this too. Usually you need pretty high humidity to keep it from getting case hardening don't you? I know most mini fridges are more humid than a standard fridge but I don't think it's going to be enough. I definitely could be wrong though.

I am interesting on trying this myself. Could you divulge the details on exactly how you are going to do this. The few Google searches I have done on this subject have led me to believe that there is more to dry aging a cut of beef than just placing it in a dedicated refrigerator for aging.

Lager,

Juggy

That's pretty much it.

*Edited. I found a write-up I did a few years ago:

I start out by picking up a whole NY Strip at either Costco/Sams. Once at home I take it out of the cryo pack and trim away any hard fat and saving as much fat as possible for dry aging. Wash the whole strip under cold water and pat dry. I then grab a cookie sheet and line the bottom of the cookie sheet with paper towels. After I line the cookie sheet with paper towels I place a cooling rack or something that will keep the steak elevated and off the paper towels when dry aging. You want air to circulate under the steak as it dry ages.

I use my spare beer fridge for the dry aging process. Whatever refrigerator you use make sure it's clean. I recommend washing and cleaning it prior. Don't use any cleaning chemicals that give off an odor and only use what is safe around food. I use soap and water. Cleaning will help reduce any bad mold the steak might pick up and help reduce any funky odors the steak could absorb into it. Also keep food/leftovers sealed tight as it can give off an aroma. So you pretty much want an odorless refrigerator. So my spare fridge works best as it only has beer, bbq sauce, and spare milk most of the time. You want a fridge that you can keep stable in temperature. Your main fridge fluctuates in temp constantly as it is opened many times throughout the day. So a spare fridge makes it a better option. Plus the wife probably doesn't want to see a big chunk of rotting dead meat every time she opens the fridge.

You NEED to have the fridge temp between 32 and 38 degrees. Anything under 32 begins to freeze and stops the process of dry aging and anything over 38 you start to run the risk of bad bacteria growth. The day before I start dry aging I place a stand up thermometer in the fridge so I can get a reading on how the cold the refrigerator is running. From there you can play around with the refrigerator thermostat until you find the temp you're happy with between 32 and 38 degrees. Keep this thermometer in the fridge so you can check and see you are within temp during the aging process. Put steak into fridge and begin!

After the first couple days the steak might begin to lose some moisture and leak onto the paper towels. After the 2nd or 3rd day of dry aging you want to remove and discard the paper towels on the cookie sheet. The steak hardens up after a few days in refrigerator and will stop leaking. So no need for any new paper towels. Once the paper towels are removed you can place everything back in the fridge. From here you have the green light. Keep dry aging until your desired length of time. Most say 40 day is the magic number for dry aging. 100% up to you. You should get a light almost like pine scent while it dry ages. You don't want a foul smell as if it's going bad. (obviously) Just check the temp gauge every 3-4-5 days and make sure you are in tolerance for temp.

I pulled the steak out after 40 days. The steak will get a hard outer bark. Some will trim the outer bark while other's wont. Personal preference. I usually cut each steak to a minimum of 1". After cutting into steaks I will vacuum seal and freeze. I typically get 10-12 steaks out of a whole NY Strip. Probably would retail for $200-$250 if purchased dry aged from the butcher. But for $80 and very little work you can do it yourself on the cheap!

Last edited:
You ever try those umai dry age bags? I just got one was gonna do a strip roast

Day 14: Weight loss 3.6% since last week. 9.1% since the start.

Still looking good, no mold growing or anything, fat and exposed meat are kind of hard.

vbce8M6h.jpg

Y3vfBYlh.jpg

Mini fridge was getting too warm before it kicked back on. Googled around but didn't find anything that showed me where the adjustment screw was on the thermostat. I use wireless tags to monitor temps, they're great for that, except for the deep freeze, but you can't really do a lot of automation with them.

So I bought a small temp/humidity sensor with a zigbee radio. Added that to my SmartThings setup at home, turned the thermostat in the mini fridge down and set up a routine in SmartThings. If the temp drops to 35, shut off the smart plug that the fridge is plugged into. When the temp hits 39, power the smart plug back on again. Been keeping temps in a good steady range, humidity only changing by about 10%, have a water pan that fits perfectly in the very bottom and a USB fan inside as well.

E4yXvcSh.jpg

Half way there. Til next week...

Good stuff Andy!

Curious to see your drying chamber setup. Been scouring Craigslist et all for a wine fridge or mini fridge and thinking about those Inkbird humidity and temp controllers. I have an outdoor mini fridge but it’s been neglected for years.

Most wine fridges won’t cool to a low enough temperature to use for dry aging beef. You could probably use one for curing sausages, however by the time you get a humidifier and dehumidifier in the bottom of your average counter height wine fridge, there’s not a lot of headroom left.

The Inkbird THUM controllers work well, I had one hooked up to a humidifier and dehumidifier and another to a vertical freezer to control temp and humidity to dry cure sausage.

Back