First for me on the pellet grill....direct flame & Grill Grates

SteveL1

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Finally got the chance to try out the Grill Grates with a direct flame and was pretty happy with the results. Set the grill temp to 400* and shot the surface temp of the Grill Grates at 637*! :eek: The claims of adding 100*+ seem to be accurate. First on were two boneless pork steaks with a little EVO and Plow Boys Yardbird rub. Seared all sides for about a minute each and shocked at how quickly these could burn if you're not careful. Love that you can flip the Grill Grates upside down to use as a griddle.

large.jpg

Once searing was complete, moved them to the top rack to finish to IT of 145*. When they were getting close to final temp, I threw on some Asparagus coated with EVO and Durkee KC Steak Seasoning. (Love this spice mix for grilling veggies.) With the open flame and the extreme temps of the Grill Grates, don't walk away for too long or you will end up with charcoal for a side dish.

large.jpg

Finished product ended up as good as I've gotten from my cast iron skillet and was super easy. Served with some water melon and cantaloupe along with a nice glass of red blend.

large.jpg

Obviously need to work on my plating skills and the iPhone could put out better pics, but you get the idea. This worked out so well that I will be experimenting with a lot of other stuff. I can almost smell a good burger or brat done on this set up.

Back