First foil pan pork butt with good results

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
N/A
After ending up with a mess inside my smoker from doing 25 lbs of pork butts for the super bowl I decided to run a foil pan on my last butt. I ran it 6 hours on the rack with a foil pan directly under. At 6 hours I pulled it, put 1 cup of heath riles butter bath and wrapped. Pulled it around 200. This was by far the most tender and juiciest butt I’ve ever done. The only downside was the butt was sitting in 3 inches of juice when I pulled it so the bark was pretty much non existent.

VM1s7oel.jpg

S6V7D89l.jpg

What are your techniques for foil pan butt? I know a lot of comp guys run them this way with great results.

Like Nuco said, try a roast pan next. Will still get steamed when you wrap without sitting in juice.

I just set pans under the racks and let roll

Same here - I smoke them naked like that in my stick burner to the bitter end if I want maximum bark, or a few hours in the smoke, followed by either sous vide for a couple days or simply finishing sans wood in the Cookshack (currently my outdoor oven).

I like doing butts in a pan. I pull them apart at the muscle groups place in pan, apply rub then smoke till they pull, all the juices serve to make for delicious moist tender smokey goodness and a side benefit is a clean cook chamber. Also seem to get plenty of bark to mix into the pulled pork.

Back