First Fast/High Heat Brisket

Peeked my curiosity Neil,
I'd love to try fast brisket on my UDS.
Long [night time] smokes are problematic with neighbourhood bear population.
Good luck.I'll be watching for results.

Rocky

--------------
18"weber
22.5"weber
performer
weber gasser
UDS

From what I have read on the tvwbb it only takes about 4 hours at 325-350* doing a full packer. And size does not matter. Foil at 160* and bring it up to 195-200* internal temp checking with a probe for that butter resistance feeling at around 4 hours and it's done. I have done a couple this way using smaller flats and I think it could be done in much less then 4 hours. Then again is a flat really a brisket? :roll: Neil where are the pic's?

I've been researching this technique on this here site, and I thought Popdaddy (a major proponent) was adamant about not foiling the beast using this method. Or was it only for the triple layer rub?

Did I remember wrong (often do, according to SWMBO)?

I just done a small brisket, 4.5lb'er, it must of been a baby. I cooked it at 315-F until the internal temp was 170, put in a pan with apple juice, wrapped with foil and cooked until the internal temp reached 206-F. I let it rest for more than an hour and it was tuff. Either way I'm eating it, funny thing was it looked like it was 2 inches thick when I started but finished about 1 inch thick, might be better with steak sauce:becky:

I am not channeling Barbefunkoramaque, but, he does not advocate foiling when doing a high heat brisket. At temps in the 280 and above range, he advocates letting it finish nekkid.

Burnedpig,

I've been researching this technique on this here site, and I thought Popdaddy (a major proponent) was adamant about not foiling the beast using this method. Or was it only for the triple layer rub?

Yes, you are correct.

Bulverde

There are a few reasons when foiling is not a prudent. It can be used but not in all applications. Can foil be used to make some awesome ass Q? Funk Yeah! But first, it depends on your rub. If you saw my video you saw how the brisket looks like granite when it goes in. Without foil the excess salt crystalls slowly have a chance to reduce in size because they are being drawn into the meat at the precise rate the meat can absorb them (thus carrying crucial outside flavors like rub profiles and meat bark flavors as well as smoke and all that each element becomes within the process. Any EXTRA salts melt away.

Foil them and the process is artificially interrupted and in my opinion you get a DIFFERENT flavors than without. I say different simply because it is. The salts do no absorb into the meat in a dry environment like they do in a bath of juices. In addition, I find the peppers do not bland out and leave the earthy pepper flavor when in a foil soup. In a foil soup the heat stays there.

Finally, overall smoke exposure is mechanically altered when you isolate the meat from the smoke. In lower temps this is cool -- simply think about overall smoke exposure of a brisket smoked 8 hours low and 4 more in foil at 230 to say, one smoked alllllll the way in 6 - 7 hours at 270-280. Nearly identical smoke exposure. Actually, maybe even more if you do like I do and smoke the brisket at 200 for an hour or two to set that ring.

I just done a small brisket, 4.5lb'er, it must of been a baby. I cooked it at 315-F until the internal temp was 170, put in a pan with apple juice, wrapped with foil and cooked until the internal temp reached 206-F. I let it rest for more than an hour and it was tuff. Either way I'm eating it, funny thing was it looked like it was 2 inches thick when I started but finished about 1 inch thick, might be better with steak sauce:becky:

I am pretty sure what you did was a flat. I am willing to bet your flat was ready within an hour after you wrapped it. I have a video in which I was using a temp probe to show something about "feel." It showed how parts of the brisket can be tender and untender within a few degrees of each other. Now alternatively, what was also interesting was that then temp the point (which at 4.5 pounds you did not have attached and is crucially important to the flat to be able to cook it right - Texas Tender I mean) was 168 I think. Now think for a moment - I know that brisket was Done to the proper feel at about 175 that day. My question is, when you arbitrarily think your brisket is done at certain temp.... and its done sooner.... when was it done to perfection. Each one is different. Don't believe me and come and cook 50 with me one day.

I'll stayed tuned in to see the results. I'd be interested in cutting cook times down. Let us know, and good luck man!:-D

firecrackerjack

I gotta say, I failed three times with a hot and fast with small flats, anything under 6lbs and I lower the temperature and cook it at somewhere around 250F. It just seems to produce a better flat. I also do not believe you can cook a flat to as tender and delicious as a packer, the point being attached does make a difference.

I agree lanarc about the flat and point being attached. Here's an appropriate analogy Popdaddy uses. Now if all you have was a woman's pelvis you could be pretty happy but not as happy as when you have all that other meat keeping the pelvis warm still attached.

I doubt I'll ever cook another brisket low n' slow again. Packers or Flats-don't matter to me.

I'll even cook Donnie T's Grandmothers oven roasted foil wrapped No-Fail Brisket before I ever go back to low n' slow!

I am pretty sure what you did was a flat. I am willing to bet your flat was ready within an hour after you wrapped it. I have a video in which I was using a temp probe to show something about "feel." It showed how parts of the brisket can be tender and untender within a few degrees of each other. Now alternatively, what was also interesting was that then temp the point (which at 4.5 pounds you did not have attached and is crucially important to the flat to be able to cook it right - Texas Tender I mean) was 168 I think. Now think for a moment - I know that brisket was Done to the proper feel at about 175 that day. My question is, when you arbitrarily think your brisket is done at certain temp.... and its done sooner.... when was it done to perfection. Each one is different. Don't believe me and come and cook 50 with me one day.
Well it looks like I'll be in TEXAS next month, but 400 mile north of you. Never know I could drive down on the weekend!:becky:

I ended up canceling my May benefit sorta (although I might just sell whole briskets) because of my sons surgery. June is Fathers Day Fajita Feast and I will be using Charlie Alkala's recipe (a Champion of several Texas Fajita Cookoffs from the dawn of the Fajita comeptitions on South Texas in the late 70's -- note: I have never seen or tasted a reason to alter his recipe --- ask AgainsttheGrain HE KNOWS Charlie).

Neil... I realize you can be clumsy.. But I'm still Picturing in my mind, how you can step on a WSM and crease it. How many cold ones did you have when this happened? If you could, Please clarify how one can step on a WSM ?...So we can take the right steps on how not to step on one... TY

First let me start by saying the fast and high 300-325 brisket turned out excellent. I got rave reviews and I enjoyed it immensely. I've had internet connection problems the last couple of days. Seems AT&T disconnected my DSL service prior to installing the
Uverse but the Uverse was never installed! I do have some pics but nont of the finished whole packer. The flat was consumed before I had a chance to take any pics but I do have some of the point which I will post after I get my camera back later today.

As for creasing the WSM, it was the access door that I stepped on while it was leaning on a chunk of apple wood on the ground. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Here are some pics of the cook: It was a 7 1/2 lb. whole packer before trimming. I injected with a combo of beef broth, Yoshida's Gourmet, Worstechire, Louisiana Hot Sauce. Slathered with Yoshida's, Worsteschire, Dale's, LHS, and a little mustard. Rubbed with granulated garlic, black pepper, Dublin's All Purpose Rub (www.dublinstore.com), Char-Broil-It Seasoning salt (http://www.aldenmillhouse.com/).

The pic with the Thermopen at 154* was taken at the three hour mark. I pulled it and sliced the flat at the six hour mark and the flat registered 180*. I probably would have left it on a little longer but I had to keep to a schedule. As I stated earlier, it was good.:biggrin:

Attachments

• Graduation2010 018.jpg
    Graduation2010 018.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Graduation2010 019.jpg
    Graduation2010 019.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 101
  • Graduation2010 023.jpg
    Graduation2010 023.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Graduation2010 030.jpg
    Graduation2010 030.jpg