First cooks on OTG

T

Tenderfoot

So I posted a poll about what to do first on the new OTG. A post about bone in chicken thighs won my wife over. I also threw on some brats and a few hot dogs for the younger folks there. The thighs cooked for about 2 hours and were perfect. I made a coal basket and threw a little bit of hickory in there for some smoke, and I must say that temperature control was very easy once I got the hang of how the air flow worked.

Dinner tonight was two pork loin chops about 1 1/4" thick. Set up a two zone fire, seared, and finished indirect. Final temp was just over 165 and the chops were very moist and tender. My wife will NOT eat pink pork (I know, I know) unless it is a smoke ring, hence the higher temp.

All in all, I must say that I am very pleased with my first Weber kettle. I have a Smoke N Pit that I use for larger cooks, but never had a quality charcoal grill. One of the main differences I noticed was how the grill held temps and seemed to heat more evenly than the less expensive kettle style grills I have had in the past. Oh, I almost forgot. My most important ingredient:

By God i think he's got it:biggrin1: Nice looking cook, try a reverse sear on your chops next time (coals to one side, start chops on opposite side, when close to temp throw onto hot side to sear)

nice work mate, almost a typical Aussie BBQ:thumb:

Back