First cook WSM

Andreas1963

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Andreas
I'm planning my first cook in my WSM. Do I need to do a "burn in" first (no meat ) to burn off any oils or grease from manufacturing? Nothing in the manual about this, but some YouTubers recommend this.

Any thoughts on meat selection for my first cook? Something easy with a higher chance of success?

I wouldn't worry ;)
I agree on the pulled pork. Chicken is also a good one, but you'll need a bit of a higher temp for that

I did a quick wet / damp wipe down, let dry, rubbed a light coat of Olive Oil all over and did a couple of hour "Burn In". Then did a Pork Butt cook as my first cook.
The WSM is a great smoker and runs smoothly with a shallow learning curve.
Congratulation, and will be looking forward to pic's of the first cook !!!

Congrats on the new WSM! As mentioned, pork butt will be a nice successful first cook.

The Weber WSM has porcelain enamel covering everything. If you have any concerns, just wash it with dish soap and water and start cooking. I just start cooking.

Enjoy your new WSM, you will make a lot of good meals on that smoker.

Agree!

Don't season your new Weber Smokey Mountain.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/seasoning-new-weber-bullet/

No need to do a burn-in, but do be sure to wash the grates thoroughly with soap and water (including the charcoal grate). They are shipped with a heavy coat of oil on them that needs to be washed off before you cook on it.

If you don't want to commit to a long pork butt cook, you can always do a meatloaf or three. They cook up in about two hours depending on size. Deliciousness.

I didn’t season mine, had several years of excellent smoking with it before upgrading.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you upgrade to? I like my WSM but I really like smoking a full packer brisket and it doesn't seem right to fold it to get it into the smoker. I have the middle size and small WSM's. Don't have the biggest model. Thanks.

OK, looks like pork butt is the winner, definitely trying that, maybe with some apple wood chunks for the smoke. Thanks everyone. Let you know how it turns out!:biggrin1:

I don't know if this is your first smoker or not, but if so you need to stumble on smoked burgers and dogs....sooooo good!

Back