THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Got a CL 26” kettle and made this:

PICT4963_zpswgdjyv5o.jpg

I needed something to break it in. Found this:

PICT4988_zpsz7r60sg9.jpg

Lit a full chimney of K Lump on the side burner.

PICT4997_zps7qhnd8jo.jpg

I've never cooked a Ribeye Roast before. Found a recipe for a pepper crusted rib roast in Weber's "Smoke": it was lightly oiled with EVOO & given a heavy rub consisting of 2 tbs coarse cracked black pepper & 1 tbs K salt.
Banked the coals on one side of the grill with 2 splits of mesquite as a dam. Got grill temps at 350* & added the meat bone side down.
Some reds in foil went in too.

PICT5000_zps2aaij9uo.jpg

About 45 minutes later, put some big knob onions on the grill.

PICT5001_zpsgs6ymgii.jpg

Pulled the roast when it hit an IT of 125*, reverse seared & tented under foil for 20 minutes.
Cooked the red & onions a while longer while the roast was resting.
Also grilled some asparagus. Sorry no pix of that.

PICT5009_zpsederdjrj.jpg

The roast was ready to carve.

PICT5016_zpswupvkvg7.jpg

And that's what I did.

PICT5020_zps3rn7j8ed.jpg

Time To Eat! Served with a blue cheese & caper sauce.

PICT5031_zpsakekkoah.jpg

This did not suck! I'll do it again because I bought 2 of those roasts.

fwiw - had to feed the beast twice, it def likes to eat.
build thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244678

Last edited:
Just curious - How hot were you cooking, did you go the whole way at 350? If so how long until you hit 125?

Looks great!

Thanks! Yes 350* (it varied here & there ) the whole time & then reverse sear. I lost track of exact time - probably 2 hours plus or minus. Go by internal temp of the roast.

Last edited:
Holy Fark! That Looks Dyno-Mite!...........I'm so jealous of your XL Performer. I'm gonna have to see if I can find a 26'er........Also, have you considered the slow and sear for it? Might help with fuel consumption. :thumb:

Ed

What a great way to break in your new build! Meat is cooked perfectly, too.

I picked up a similar roast at Von's about 2 months ago, also on sale. Von's beef is so much better now that they got rid of that Rancher's Reserve crap a few years ago.

Now that's the way to break in a new cooker!

Awesome cook brother. :)

Back