THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PhilB

Knows what a fatty is.
You can see the conversion with the Cajun Bandit here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94910

Here's what I cooked to test out my new Cajun Bandit (conversion to WSM style cooker from a kettle):

Jerk chicken:
DSC00642small.JPG

Cutaway to see the goodness:
DSC00643small.JPG

Ackee and saltfish (not done on the BBQ, but what the heck, since I'm posting pr0n):
DSC00644small.JPG

The supermarket where I got the chicken had beef back ribs (sorry, "Fred Flinstone Beef Ribs" :roll:) on sale. That rack was only $5, so I figured I could experiment with it:
DSC00645small.JPG

A side view:
DSC00646small.JPG

Man, the Cajun Bandit/WSM held fairly steady with basically no tweaking for over 6 hours. Required a bit of tweaking when the rain kicked up, but that's about it. I like it.

That chicken was just marinaded in Walkerswood jerk marinade overnight. The beef ribs were coated in the beef dry rub recipe found here:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html
and left overnight.

Neither got any foil, sauce, or anything else but low and slow until it was done (the chicken took almost 4 hours, the ribs about 5.5). I started out at about 225, and cranked it up to about 250 after about 2 hours. The jerk chicken is by far the best I've had. The ribs are also really good, but there's obviously not much meat on/between beef back ribs. What is there is very, very tasty, though.

Gonna have to learn/practice brisket over the winter, as the missus' family would like me to bring one for Passover if I could.

Phil

Forgot to mention that everything was smoked with a little bit of cherry wood chips. I couldn't find pimento anywhere.

Phil

Back