First Competition,,, maybe

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Yesterday I found out that a local town ( 10 minutes from home ) is hosting their first non-sanctioned Backyard BBQ Cook Off in two weeks ( Nov. 14 ). I've just about talked myself into making it my first competition as well. It will be a "peoples choice" event and the public evidently drops tickets in each cookers bucket for votes.

The cook- Each team must cook and supply enough pork for 100, 2-ounce samples. The rules recommend 12 to 15 pounds of cooked meat.

Also, there is a Brunswick Stew category.

Entry fee is $40 for Amatuers and $75 for "Professionals"

The pay out is $250 for Amatuers and $500 for Pro's,, for the best in "best all around of both categories" It states there will be trophies for each category. There is no mention of 2nd, and 3rd place winners.

There is one thing that I feel is odd. You have the option to cook on sight overnight, or cook at home and bring it in the morning of the event? I've never heard of that before. Just doesn't seem right?

So I'm thinking about signing up as a Pro as the only real difference is the pay out,,,, I'll still be cooking the same meat and the same crowd will be judging. In theory the cooks might be of a better class, but for such a small event we won't be talking big name cookers. And besides, the pay out for amatuers really only breaks you even.

Two weeks is pretty short notice for someone who has never done it before. I need to find a sterno pan setup and an easy up. How many butts do you think for 100 (2 ounce) servings. I'm thinking 3 good sized ones will do it.

Any thoughts?

What do you have to cook on? To get 200 oz. (100 20 oz samples) of cooked meat that means 400 oz. of raw meat, so 25 lbs. That's three good sized butts. Do you have a cooker that is portable that can handle that?

Also, remember that this type of People's Choice often turns into a contest to see who can bring out the most friends and family and is rarely about the food.

Thanks for the reply Ron. I have two options for cookers, a drum and an Akorn. Neither work too well with pans, but both will fit 3 butts.

I really appreciate the awareness on the friends and family thing.

Thanks for the reply Ron. I have two options for cookers, a drum and an Akorn. Neither work too well with pans, but both will fit 3 butts.

I really appreciate the awareness on the friends and family thing.

How about disposable pie pans? It will let you collect the aus jus or if you want to just keep your cooker clean. Should fit a bit better. :thumb:

Yesterday I found out that a local town ( 10 minutes from home ) is hosting their first non-sanctioned Backyard BBQ Cook Off in two weeks ( Nov. 14 ). I've just about talked myself into making it my first competition as well. It will be a "peoples choice" event and the public evidently drops tickets in each cookers bucket for votes.

The cook- Each team must cook and supply enough pork for 100, 2-ounce samples. The rules recommend 12 to 15 pounds of cooked meat.

The pay out is $250 for Amatuers and $500 for Pro's,, for the best in "best all around of both categories" It states there will be trophies for each category. There is no mention of 2nd, and 3rd place winners.

There is one thing that I feel is odd. You have the option to cook on sight overnight, or cook at home and bring it in the morning of the event? I've never heard of that before. Just doesn't seem right?

So I'm thinking about signing up as a Pro as the only real difference is the pay out,,,, I'll still be cooking the same meat and the same crowd will be judging. In theory the cooks might be of a better class, but for such a small event we won't be talking big name cookers. And besides, the pay out for amatuers really only breaks you even.

Two weeks is pretty short notice for someone who has never done it before. I need to find a sterno pan setup and an easy up. How many butts do you think for 100 (2 ounce) servings. I'm thinking 3 good sized ones will do it.

Any thoughts?

When it comes to this type of people's choice, I have seen many contests that let you cook at home and bring it to the contest, so it's not totally unheard of. Many will require on site cooking, but it's not uncommon.

Any thoughts?

Also, for the sterno setup walmart and sams club both sell that stuff. The easy up might be a pain check like a dicks sporting goods or sams club may still have them.
Look for a fire proof easy up type setup as most comps will ask for it. Most are fire resistant not fire proof. I only found one that is fire proof. I will send you the name of it when I get home as I am just on break at work.

I've never been to a contest where a fire proof canopy was a requirement.

As far as cooking the butts in pans in a drum, you should be able to fit them fine. 2 on the bottom rack, one on the top or vice versa. You'll be getting plenty of smoke on them over the long cook.

Most fire retardant canopies are quite expensive. Usually it's not a requirement unless your smoker is under it. My last competition a few weeks ago had a PC comp that was pulled pork. I cooked 4 bone in butts about 8#s ea and then I also used the leftover from my 2 comp butts. We served 350 people. I only have one smoker so I did the 4 butts on Saturday at the comp and took them off about 9pm before I put my comp meat on the smoker. I let them cool a bit then I pulled them and put them in foil pans and lightly sauced them so they wouldn't dry out. I foiled the pans and put them in the cooler. The next day I put the pans on the smoker after my comp meats were off and warmed them up and it worked out great. We were allowed to serve any sides that we wanted so we did a basic coleslaw and a sweet pickle. They gave us the sample cups but I purchased the small tray to hold everything. You may want to go on amazon and order small wooden or bamboo forks. Ron is right that it can turn into a family and friends event. It doesn't hurt to have more than the minimum. It can also be frustrating if everyone doesn't follow the rules, as it happened in my last comp. The team that won served brisket along with their pulled pork. Good Luck and have fun!
Be careful, you'll get hooked!

ummm...

hmmm..

I would not do this.

It isnt the best introduction to competition bbq, and most of us avoid these types of situations.

The local bank will probably win and you will deal with people all day.

Find a KCBS event and cook that. A drum and akorn is enough cooker to cook a KCBS event. You could do a backyard, but I wouldnt.

or do it, have fun and bring your whole family out.

ummm...

hmmm..

I would not do this.

It isnt the best introduction to competition bbq, and most of us avoid these types of situations.

The local bank will probably win and you will deal with people all day.

Find a KCBS event and cook that. A drum and akorn is enough cooker to cook a KCBS event. You could do a backyard, but I wouldnt.

or do it, have fun and bring your whole family out.

My thoughts exactly. It is like throwing money away and really does not give you a feel of a real competition.

I see you list Williamston SC as where you're from, and you say there's a cookoff 10 minutes from your house. Where & When?

"Also, remember that this type of People's Choice often turns into a contest to see who can bring out the most friends and family and is rarely about the food."

And or some companies will just pay to have different family and friends go buy boat loads of tickets just so they can win.

Do the contest for fun and experience but realize that's they way peoples choice "usually" works, as Ron stated, it's rarely about the food.

I see you list Williamston SC as where you're from, and you say there's a cookoff 10 minutes from your house. Where & When?

The City of Belton Backyard Cookoff and Fall Festival,,, Nov. 14th

The more I research "Peoples Choice", I think I've about decided this shouldn't be my first cookoff. I think I agree with many of you, blind judging would be the better choice. We definately have a few local BBQ joints that have the resources to run the table at an event linke this. And I can see where a local good ol' boy could win by popularity too.

But, my take away is that I need to go ahead and focus on aquiring some basics. In fact, I bought a table today. The Sterno buffet set should be easy to get,,, and the winter seems like a good time to score a good used Easy Up. As for cookers, I actually just started a build, so hopefully by the spring I'll be ready to cook larger quantities of meat.

Thanks for all the replies guys,,, and the insight.

I've never been to a contest where a fire proof canopy was a requirement.

As far as cooking the butts in pans in a drum, you should be able to fit them fine. 2 on the bottom rack, one on the top or vice versa. You'll be getting plenty of smoke on them over the long cook.

http://www.whitingweber.com/bbq.html

He actually calls it fire retardant now. Looks like the rules got an update. He never keeps them up to date lol. Sam is a good guy but he never seems to update the rules to much.

Come to think of it he may be the only one with this rule I ever have seen. Either way it's a good idea to have one.

The City of Belton Backyard Cookoff and Fall Festival,,, Nov. 14th

If you need it, send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send you the application and rules.

I'm going to be in Nashville that weekend or I'd try to attend. For much the same reasons as you've come to, I wouldn't really be interested in this, ...but I do wish I could make it to sample the wares.

(I'm just up the road in Clemson, btw.)

Having done a LOT (hundreds) of chili cookoffs as well as cooking and judging sanctioned and un-sanctioned BBQ cookoffs, what they are telling you above is spot on. 99.9% of the time the local team that's able to bring out their friends and families wins, regardless of how you cook. That last 0.1% is usually who cooks the most and outlasts the other competitors to be the only team getting those last votes...

One of the guys said earlier something about good practice; I'd argue that if you're cooking for something like this, there's very little to come away with that's usable in an actual sanctioned contest, other than practicing cooking 3 or 4 butts, but frankly you can do that at home and eat the results yourself without incurring any other costs and hassles.

http://www.whitingweber.com/bbq.html

He actually calls it fire retardant now. Looks like the rules got an update. He never keeps them up to date lol. Sam is a good guy but he never seems to update the rules to much.

Come to think of it he may be the only one with this rule I ever have seen. Either way it's a good idea to have one.

any organizer that requires this doesn't deserve to get many teams.

Back