First Competition is in the books!

Sixeight

Knows what a fatty is.
We competed for the first time this weekend and I can say we have a lot of room for improvement. We were 26th out of 47, but did get a 6th place in chicken. Everything else was middle of the pack. I did have some very valuable take always from the weekend.

1. Go in with a good plan and STICK TO IT! I felt like we got caught up looking at what everyone else was doing and all the fancy smokers. This got us second guessing ourselves.
2. Don't under estimate how fast turn in's go. Once time comes for boxes to start leaving the time flys. We got pretty good presentation scores, but it was a chore keeping everyone on task once a box left.
3. Talk to the folks around you. This ended up being some of the best bbq info we took from the competition.

Hopefully we get a chance to compete again this year. There is an awesome competition coming up in Salisbury, NC (Tilly Harley Davidson Bikers Blues and Bbq), but I don't think any of my team is available. For now I'll just keep practicing!

So glad that first one is down, and Congratulations on the call :clap2:
You are spot on when you said "Stick to the plan" Yours will not work for others, and others plans wont work for you.

Congrats. That call just cost you a lot of money

#1 is the most impotent and hard to do when first starting. Glad you figured that out

Thanks! It is easy to get off track when you are walking around looking at the other teams equipment. As soon as we saw smoke rolling from the other camps we started thinking we were doing something wrong. Your right about the money too! Already trying to find another comp to get my fix:twitch:

congrats! Like you, we were lucky enough to get a call in our first comp back during our first year and it was electric.....best feeling in the world. Happy for you man!!!

Congrats

I am a newbie and am really getting into this whole thing. A lot of people really take this serious. I have got a lot of things to learn!

Congratulations on your call and overall ranking. Good job for your first Comp. So now you are hooked and let the games begin. :clap2:

Congratulations on your call and overall ranking. Good job for your first Comp. So now you are hooked and let the games begin. :clap2:

Thanks! We have a lot of room to improve that's for sure. My team doesn't seem as excited to get back into the ring. We might compete again in November, but I'm already chomping at the bit:crazy::mmph:!

Are you going to do pigs again next year? We are

I hope so. All the guys I cooked with were from Randolph Co. and knew everyone that walked up...even the darn mayor. I felt like an outsider. It was a lot of fun and well organized. Hopefully next year we can get there earlier and move closer to the field.

I hope so. All the guys I cooked with were from Randolph Co. and knew everyone that walked up...even the darn mayor. I felt like an outsider. It was a lot of fun and well organized. Hopefully next year we can get there earlier and move closer to the field.

We were at the very end of Bicentennial park which was nice in a way but I think I would rather be in the middle of the pack next year :)

Back