THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you can, trim all the racks you are using to be the same width, so if you need to turn in from different racks, they are the same length. The ones in the picture look a bit dark. Easy on the flavor profile - less is more. No habanero stuff. Use a freaking sharp knife, and trim any bits of meat even with the rest of the meat with scissors. Take any black crud off the ends of the bones before they go in the box.

Great info! thanks to EVERYONE for their support and input! My only issue is i've never cooked ribs in my Traeger :wacko:... I know... I know. I just got it a week ago. lol ... Im going to make a trial run or 2 in the next few weeks. I think the Traeger will be much easier to cook on so I think my times and method will be close. If someone wanted to share some cook times on a Traeger I wouldnt be mad! lol .....If Not I understand 100% not sharing cook secrets :) Thanks again for all the help and support!

I do all of my ribs on the exact same Traeger you have there...completely able to get 4 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on there. Just make sure to vaccum out the smoker before the cook to get any of the dust out of there from previous cooks for optimal performance.

Great idea,SMART!! If will puff out a little ash every now and then

Some will argue/debate this with me, but IMHO there are no secrets in this. There is what works for you, and what doesn't... Your specific smoker will have a nature to it. Apply your region, humidity, the wood and charcoal and ... you smoke with, the temperature your smoker settles in on, etc. Mostly, it's about temperature and time. Keep the smoke a thin blueish hue (called Sweet Blue) and you're golden. You can do it at 240 (much lower is frankly unnecessarily low n painfully slow) up to 350 or more, but most of us find that our smokers seem to really like that 250 (give or take) to 280 range (again, give or take). Let 'er smoke right there. Adjust your cook time to it. On mine, as I said earlier, the total time is just under 4 hours. If it's running a little hot, closer to 3.5 hours. In most rib contests (even KCBS) the slightly undercooked rib (which will be a little tougher to come off the bone) will get hammered in points, and the slightly overcooked rib will be forgiven. If you have to err, go slightly overcooked. Hopefully not actually falling apart.

By the way, welcome to bbq-brethren. There's good advice all over the web, but none better IMHO than you'll find here.

Also, we ask only 1 thing in return, and that's that you tell us how you did.

Best of luck!!!

:)

By the way, welcome to bbq-brethren. There's good advice all over the web, but none better IMHO than you'll find here.

Also, we ask only 1 thing in return, and that's that you tell us how you did.

Best of luck!!!

:)

Thanks well the good news is there are only 20 teams so I'm going to make a BOLD prediction.... TOP 20 IN MY FIRST COMPETITION COOK !!!!:clap:....lol

I love my slicer for brisket and ribs. I have the victorinox also.

For cook times I go with around 2 hours at 160ish(play with the smoke setting) and then wrapped in foil at 250 for about 2:20....depending on how they look and feel.

I cook ribs on a Traeger Texas at KCBS contest. It will do well for you.

If you cook the racks laying front to back the end 2 ribs on each rack will be over done and may burn before the middle is done. They over hang the drip tray.
Try a few practice cooks with the racks timmed down to 15" or less, or cook 2 racks laid left to right and centered.
The right side is typically hotter then the left. It's a good idea to rotate the racks several times during the cook.
275° is a good temperature for ribs on a Traeger. Cooking pellets 100% Hickory or their Perfect Mix are good choices or Bbq's Delight Oak, Hickory or Pecan.

Back