First comp this past weekend.

siMON STERn

Knows what a fatty is.
Entered a little BBQ Cookoff this past weekend. Not sanctioned. Local non-trained judges. 20 teams. Allowed to use gas and electric in addition to charcoal and wood. Alot of home-made rigs. Several small Okie Joe-style offsets, a few propane fired vertical smokers. A couple UDS's. No WSM's. No insulated cabinets.

My team consisted of my brothers, brother in-law and father. Grillers, not low 'n slow at all. So, it was up to me to manage almost everything.

Five categories; pork, ribs, chicken, other and sides. We skipped chicken, more on that later.

Organizers provided two pork butts. Was expecting 7-8 lbs, got two monster 12-14 lbs-ers. Did I mention I was gonna cook on two Weber kettles and a char-griller barrell-style grill. Plan was to cook the butts on the Weber Performer, using snake/fuse ring for about 7-8 hours, then wrap and switch to the other Weber. Butts were too big to fit a drip pan, with charcoial ring. Drippings on unlit coals stopped the cook about six hours in. Lost an hour of cook time. Ended up putting one butt on each Weber, wrapped at 165 and went to top rack of Crar-griller to finish. Never did reach 195, but it probed well. Let it rest and hour and done came out clean with little effort. Really turned out good. Except money muscle, over done and wouldn't slice.

Using more space than I hoped on the butts caused me to skip chicken. Was planning on wings, not thighs.

Half way through my rib cook. A heavy 20 minute thunderstorm killed my kettle temp and had to refire. Near, turn in time an organizer came by and announced 15 minutes to Rib turn in. Pulled the best looking rack, sliced it and gave it a finishing glaze and boxed it. Turned it in. Thing was, nobody else was turning in. I thought I was down to just a couple minutes. Turns out after I left the site, the organizer came back by the site and said "sorry, there still a half-hour to go till turn in". Great.

I enter smoked turkey meatloaf in Other and beans in Sides.

Long story a little shorter. No calls. Still thought the ribs might be good. They looked good. Disappointed? Yes. Got the final results today. Turns out we finished fourth in Pork, fourth in Other, fifth in Sides and seventh in Ribs.

Made. My. Day.

SS

Congrats on the first comp. I have been thinking I would enjoy doing one, so I have been studying up. Your next one will be easier due to what you have learned.

One other thing. I stayed up all night. Worked on Friday. Setup after work that evening. Prepped into the night. Made some wings to nibble on. Put the butts on round midnight. Brothers took a couple short naps in the wee hours. I stayed awake. Started feeling it around 8. Got a second wind as more family showed. Adrenaline in afternoon. Fumes in late afternoon. Ready to shut down when awards were read at 8....as it started to pour again.

SS

Yeah, doing a comp is enough work. Fighting the elements to go with it just makes it harder. I helped a buddy with one last fall. Besides the comp entries, we also were feeding a party tent both Friday and Saturday night. I got there about noon on Friday, they had everything already set up. Immediately started trimming, rubbing, marinating, etc. Got food out for the Friday night party and it was time to start the briskets. We took turns getting a little rest during the night while others managed the fires. Saturday was full on getting the entries ready for turn in and cooking / serving for the Saturday night party. I left around midnight, thoroughly exhausted, but I also learned some things and had fun.

Oh, did I mention it rained almost the whole time. Sucked...

Congrats on where you ended up. Next time should go better...

Congrats! As my wife would say "you were in the money" if you had been in most KCBS contests:)

Well Simon, may have been your first competition, but you sure got a ton of experience out of it. Congrats on the multiple top 5's, especially after going through all that

Congrats, it sounds like you could use a Smoke-EZ or Cajun Bandit ring to get some extra space on your Webers for any curveballs that are thrown your way. That or build a UDS?

Back