First Comp Goals

We have only done two comps, at both socializing lead to help, that lead to great beginings! Two walks already...ask and they will help..which is so nice about BBQ. What other competition will your competitors "help" the competition???

Dave Q

Our first comp was a couple weeks ago so take this with a grain of salt.Last year we attended a comp to see what it was all about.Got to know a couple of the competitors. We ended up going to 3 more last fall and spending allmost the whole day with one team.We got to see the whole fuss at turn in time first hand.You can read about it and read about it but if you havent seen it you dont understand.I feel that you have to set your goals by the amount of experience you have,have you done practice cooks in all 4 categories with turn in time that mirror the comps?Whats the competition level at this comp?To me the whole goal thing is to set an attainable goal but not one you can fluff just to say you made your goal.We set a goal of trying to be in the top ten overall at our first comp.We had practiced hard all winter,did a few full practice cooks,and had some excellent coaching from some of the best in our area.I knew that there would be several great teams there and I set what I thought was a high goal and we did better than expected.Goals should be attainable but not easily.Just my .02 worth.

This is our first year...
Our goal has been to turn everything in on time - we've had a successful year!

Other that that, learning a little bit at every comp - you can't ask for much more than that.

Scott

Don't going in expecting to win. There are a lot of great teams out there.

The most important thing is to have fun. Turn in all your entries on time and have no DQ's. Talk to a lot of people, they have good stories and a lot of good advise. REMEMBER HAVE FUN.

Oh and you might want to take a coffee maker, staying up all night or getting a few hours of sleep can be rough.

The Rules:

1. Have Fun
2. Celebrate the Successes
3. Learn From the Failures

Competitions are an undertaking. Remember to be courteous to those around you, and especially your team. A loud and angry Captain is always on display for everyone around. Don't be hard on yourself, afterall this is new. See rule #1.

No matter what, we always learn something new from a cook, practice or otherwise. I think the key to being successful, is understanding how all the components come together and how they affect each other. Also, recognizing areas of improvements, and being able to honestly evaluate and implement those changes, will help your team's growth and development.

Competitive cooks (and judges) have healthy egos, and opinions. If you share your turn ins with those around you, share with the understanding that you have invited a critique and be ready for an evaluation. Good, bad, or indifferent. Sometimes you get honest feedback, sometimes not. Either way, have a keen knowledge of what you liked, didn't like, and what did well.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Back