First butt on uds

Gethenet

Found some matches.
I went and picked up a 8.75 lb butt from local grocery store. I did a apple juice/captain Morgan injection, and basic pork rub. Filled coal basket up with about 3/4 bag of lump. Was figuring on a 13.5 / 14 hr smoke. Had a little trouble getting drum to hold temp for the first 2 hrs ( was a tad breezy) however temp was always between 250-280. I prefer to smoke at 225-245. Once it did settle in....it held temp for whole smoke. Which is what I was shocked about...it took close to 18 hrs to get to 198..... Which I then pulled and wrapped in foil and stuck in cooler. I have never had one take that long.
It turned out GREAT ( probably my best yet) ....holds true every butt is different, but in the end their all NICE!:-D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 110
Like mentioned, looks good. For me when I do the butts at 225 degrees it takes 17 hrs vs 14hrs at 250 degrees on average. I use a drip pan under the butts. Both on my Acorn and my UDS. As far as the windy days, I ended up getting rid of my taller stand pipes due to that problem you experienced. Makes a big difference in ease of getting and holding temps for me.

Looks great but check your therms. Butts take me less than an hour per lb...always

18HRS???:shock: I'll stick with H&F. Me thinks you need to check your thermos calibration. That big pan of porky goodness is a nice reward for your patience.

Not all butts are the same. Some butts need extra coaxing before they soften up:biggrin1:

That with a little coleslaw and some sauce sounds awfully good for breakfast.

Back