THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tajt7757

Knows what a fatty is.
Decided to do hot and fast brisket on my c/l find.
Bought two briskets at Tom Thumb for 1.49 lb. one was 7# one was 8#.
Rubbed them down with homemade rub. Loaded the wsm with full ring of kings ford blue. Put two big chunks of pecan.
Ran at 325-350 for 3 hours international hit 165.
Pulled off and foiled. Put back on for 2 hours until internals hit 203*.
Threw one in a cooler. The other is resting in foil in kitchen.
Pics of brisket to follow.
I forget to add that I had to run a fan into one of the bottom vents to maintain high temp. Also had dry waterbowl with a foiled pizza stone as a diffuser.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 165
Looks pretty tasty. I am going to have to try a hot and fast one.

Hot and fast believer.

I guess I will need to invest in a guru or another type of temp control fan.
Does any one prefer one of the other for the wsm ?

Last edited:
I guess I will need to invest in a guru or another type of temp control fan.
Does any one prefer one of the other for the wsm ?

I suggest cooking on that baby a few times before you decide you need to buy a temp control unit. They are hold temps very well. I never have felt the need for one.

I bought an IQUE110 to go with my WSM for overnight cooks so I could sleep without worrying about waking up and finding the fire running wild. If I have time to sit around and watch the thing, I don't bother with the controller. For some reason, I have occasional temp spike issues with the 22 that i never had with the 18 I had previously. Temp will be rock steady for 6 hours and suddenly it goes from 275 to 325 in the blink of an eye. The controller restricts the air and pretty much keeps that from happening.

I would cook a few times before investing in a ATC also. I would suggest either leaving the bowl or heat diffuser out, they will do the same thing so you are wasting heat warming those up.

Brisket looks good!

I have seen the Party Q work wonders on the WSMs. You don't need to drop a ton on money on a controller for that unit.

Tom thumbs in dallas have briskets! Whoa!

Mine just has hot dogs on a rolling grill...and overpriced milk.

$100 wsm is a fantastic score!

Back