first boston butt

i stuck it out when i smoked the deer for 16 hours!! 75lbs. of charcoal. Hey Saiko, i haven't forgotten about you buddy. =) When it gets a little warmer maybe we can meet up and que sumthin.

Saiko said:
Make sure you mix in a little vinager finishing sauce to sweeten the pork (I use a combo of cider vinager, brown sugar, salt and crushed red pepper).

when you say finishing sauce...do you mean right before i foil it?

jsn1511 said:

Hrm, maybe I shouldn't have said finishing sauce. After I pull the pork, that's when I mix in the sauce. I've always used Paul Kirk's recipe for "Eastern Carolina Vineger Barbecue Sauce" :

2 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

You can always add any sweet or hot tomato based sauce afterwards, I just use this sauce to "sweeten" the pork a bit.

I don't feel the need to play with fire as some of you and I'm closer to 60 than 50 but I still get to cook on offsets. Bark is better if you don't foil till you get the hold portion of the cook and the hold is best if there is no heat source involved. Why no get a WSM and finish the cook on it when you have had your fill of minding the pit. I also find that I like the smoke that a offset lays so starting in a offset is is good. Plus everyone can use another cooker.

thankee Sai. (sorry couldn't help myself i had to break out the Steven King refrence) =)

Jminion, maybe one day i will have enough money to have two smokers =)

jminion said:
Plus everyone can use another cooker.

You can expect incoming from my better half soon :!: Thanks for stepping up and taking one for the team :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Saiko said:
jsn1511 said:

Hrm, maybe I shouldn't have said finishing sauce. After I pull the pork, that's when I mix in the sauce. I've always used Paul Kirk's recipe for "Eastern Carolina Vineger Barbecue Sauce" :

2 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

You can always add any sweet or hot tomato based sauce afterwards, I just use this sauce to "sweeten" the pork a bit.

Hit that nail squarely on the head!! It really makes the finished product.

Back