First attempt (low and slow) on Genesis 3000.

A

AJ Peacock

Hi all,

I've been grilling forever and got the itch to try smoked brisket on my gas grill. I'd classify it as a success, but I think I'll be buying an Akorn once I'm confident that it can be run low and slow.

I read a ton of internet posts and bought a Packer at Walmart (14.5lbs), trimmed it, and rubbed it with a sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne etc rub.

I had done some experiments with my grill (an old Weber Genesis 3000) and was able to get a stable 225 degrees (oven therm at grate level) by using a huge water pan under the grates and running only the front burner at med heat.

I started my grill at 3:30am and loaded the pan with boiling water from the stove (trying to get the temp up quickly). I made a couple foil pouches with mesquite chips.

At 4:04am I had the brisket on the grill/smoker at 225F (fat side up).

After 5 hours I placed it in a aluminum pan with foil cover and move to my convection oven (it has a meat probe). The thickest portion of the point was at 138F when I put it in the oven.

Since I had bought the cheapest brisket I could find ($2.58/lb), I decided to kook it to 205F to give it the best chance of not being tough. I discovered that my oven won't probe above 200F, so about 45minutes after it hit 200F, I pulled it out of the oven, wrapped it in blankets and let it rest for 1.5hours.

Results:
1) Definitely overcooked.
2) I thought it was too salty, as the flat cooked in the juices (that were salty from the rub).
3) Everyone ate it up. There where 9 of us and I probably had 3-4lbs left over (probably started with 11-12lbs after trimming).
4) The point had a LOT coarser grain than the flat.

Next attempt will do the following:
1) Only cook until 190F
2) Use a rub that has FAR less salt and more spice (more cayenne).
3) use an injector (just beef broth).
4) Fat up or down???

My biggest dissappointment is that I didn't get much smoke on the meat, I need to figure out how to generate 10x more smoke when running my grill at such a low temperature. Any and all hits are more than welcome.

AJ

Back