First Attempt in Healthy Grilling

Smokin J's PIts

Full Fledged Farker
As the title states this was my first attempt, at grilling healthy, and by healthy I mean with in the diet limitations of someone with diabetes, who also has high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. With that said yes I know there is a lot of fat on the pork steaks, and it was meticulously trimmed off after cooking. To start with I used one packet of lime crystals per side, let that set for about five minutes, then a light dusting of Paprika, let stand for about five minutes, then another light dusting of Spanish Comino and onion powder. I then let than sit for about five minutes and gave them a light drizzle of olive oil and rubbed down. Unfortunately I had to use my Gasser for this meal, but I cooked them over direct heat until I/T reached 140, with nice grill marks, wrapped in foil and started cooking indirect for about another 15 or so minutes, checked I/T and it was at 170. Pulled and let rest for another 15 minutes. It was served with some fresh roasted garlic infused green beans, real simple and quick, dice 4 cloves of garlic, cut fresh green beans in half toss in a bowl with a table spoon of olive oil until they are all coated, evenly spread on a pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Over all the meal was good I wished that I would have only used half a packed of lime crystals per side, a little too much for me but my wife loved it. Up next will be chili let’s see how that goes.

Last edited:
Check the size of the pictures. The max size for .jpg is 800 x 600 or 1.43M when uploading as an attachment.

You can upload your pictures to Photobucket or a similar photohosting site and then cut and paste the IMG code from there and there is no size limit (although 800 wide is good for most displays)

Back