Firecracker Shrimp and Grits

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
I found some inspiration in Cack's earlier post about grits and decided to make a spin on the shrimp and grits recipe that he shared.

I started by making up a marinade for one of my favorite grilled shrimp preparations Firecracker Shrimp. The marinade consists of about 1/4C olive oil, a healthy squirt of Sriracha, a spoonful of garlic chili sauce, a small spoonful of Gilroy garlic jelly and a couple dashes of wooster. I tossed about 15 U/15 gulf shrimp in the marinade put them in a ziploc and then into the fridge for 45 minutes or so.

Next I prepped the ingredients for the sauce. I sliced one Hemplers (a local meat packing company) double smoked sausage and one Hemplers Andouille.

Next I diced a large ripe tomato and some green onion

Lit the kettle with some Trader Joe's briqs. This was my first time using them and I was seriously impressed by the heat they put off, I may be leaving Kingsford Comp behind all together.

Cooked the sausage tomato and green onion in a cast iron skillet over the coals (sorry no pics, it was cooking too fast) and then pulled that mixture off and put it into a warm oven while I got the shrimp going.

Shrimp on the grill. I like to grill my shrimp with the shell on as IMHO the shells release a lot of additional flavor into the shrimp as they cook and char.

After about 1 minute on the first side.

I pulled the shrimp off and they got peeled and added to the sausage tomato mix in the warmed oven.

I mixed up a batch of grits according to Mrs. Cack's directions (again no pics) and they came out fantastic. Creamy rich and delicious, a huge change from the wallpaper paste I made last time I tried to prepare grits.

My wife wanted hers plated up with some pasta.

And I spooned some grits into a bowl and topped with the shrimp & sausage mixture.

Hot damn was this good. I finally understand what all the fuss around shrimp & grits was about. This northerner is a convert!

Thanks for looking.

It looks and sounds scrumptious!!:clap:
You had me on the shrimp marinade until you got to Gilroy garlic jelly... Roasted, nutty, and sweet?

The inspirations of this place are busting at the seams.:shock:

It looks and sounds scrumptious!!:clap:
You had me on the shrimp marinade until you got to Gilroy garlic jelly... Roasted, nutty, and sweet?

The inspirations of this place are busting at the seams.:shock:

The garlic jelly is actually more acidic and tangy than anything. It's got a cider vinegar base with a heavy raw garlic punch and then a little sweetness to offset it. I've been finding it as a great ingredient to add to sauces and marinades when I want to add a garlic hit along with a tempered tangyness.

The garlic jelly is actually more acidic and tangy than anything. It's got a cider vinegar base with a heavy raw garlic punch and then a little sweetness to offset it. I've been finding it as a great ingredient to add to sauces and marinades when I want to add a garlic hit along with a tempered tangyness.

Sounds really good. I did some searching and found a few likenesses...

Who makes/labels the product?:-D

Thanks!:biggrin1:

This stuff is made by Mama Raps I think. My uncle who live in Gilroy gave me a couple jars for Christmas, it's really good stuff.
garlicshop_2272_29603058

ahhhhh.... the erosion of the Mason-Dixon line - now if we could get scrapple in Florida!!

RMR

Just make your own! then you can control what goes in it, maybe even make it taste better without the lips and... well you know the rest... We have made homemade scrapple in our house a couple times and it works for me. But for the sake of nostalgia I miss the real thing...

Back