THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firebricks is another reoccurring theme around here. I know plenty of us have done it already and this may piss you off but WTF. I can deal with that.

I'm a mechanical engineer and have specialized in energy efficiency. Most of the heat is lost through the top. HTF you gonna line that with firebricks?
There is a better way.

Get some scrap stainless steel sheet for the sides and top. For the bottom, just elevate the ash pan a little. Ash build up? Here's a clue, Move it away. It's called a poker.

Want more info; go here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

It's cool Mark! The inquiry myself and Timmay were wondering about pertained to heat loss through the top and it wasn't addressed. I asked if people were lining the tops and sides of the firebox and most were lining the cook chamber. I've got a habit of asking questions, gleaning through the responses and trying the things that work for them. I got to admit I got called on it at the WSM site regarding the water pan. I should just do more cooks on it and find out for myself. Now if I could only find the time!

Oh yeah, I talked about lining the top with stainless steel sheet before. If you search this forum, you can probably find it but the upshot is just bend it in an arch and insert. It will rest on the lips (no wise cracks!). Then drill and pop-rivet.

Mark said:
Firebricks is another reoccurring theme around here. I know plenty of us have done it already and this may piss you off but WTF. I can deal with that.

I'm a mechanical engineer and have specialized in energy efficiency. Most of the heat is lost through the top. HTF you gonna line that with firebricks?
There is a better way.

Get some scrap stainless steel sheet for the sides and top. For the bottom, just elevate the ash pan a little. Ash build up? Here's a clue, Move it away. It's called a poker.

Want more info; go here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

OK so call me a dumb ass (you won't be the first or last)but I am a little confused
Are you saying that fire bricks ( or other such material) don't work?
I was under the impression that thier purpose wasn't about heat loss as much as it was about increased mass making for of a constant and more even heat distribution.

I understand the whole idea about adding material for thicker top but if
A./ your heated mass is above the stuff you are cooking how much effect does it have on things below it and
B./ will having your thermal mass inside give you a more constant temperature then one that is subject to exterior influences such as rain snow and wind ?

ssk

One thing to remember about fire brick. They love the heat but, cold and moisture are not it's friend. I have done extensive research on a homebuilt outdoor pizza oven, so I have knowledge of the firebricks but have never used them.

Muzzlebrake said:
A./ your heated mass is above the stuff you are cooking how much effect does it have on things below it and
B./ will having your thermal mass inside give you a more constant temperature then one that is subject to exterior influences such as rain snow and wind ?

Mark's Answer
Part A.

Mass is good (like 1/4" plate steel) but R-value is even better. R-value is an indication of the resistance to heat transfer. The outside and inside of the firebox surface has an air film that provides some R-value. Air-flow, both inside and outside of the firebox, scrub some of that air film off. The more air-flow, the less R-value.

Having 2 surfaces more than doubles the R-value because there is little if any air-flow between the surfaces.

My Bandera has a 1/4" aluminum plate on top and 2 layers of stainless-steel sheet beneth the lid in the form of arches. The first arch goes from front-to-back and the other goes from end-to-end. Both ends of the arches are pop-rivited to the original steel.

The side pieces of stainless-steel sheet just slip in. They are held in place by slipping another stainless-steel sheet inside the firebox where it enters the smoke chamber and then slipping in the grate. BTW (and this is important): the grate if off the bottom of the firebox by an old piece of grill. That gives me a 2-surface bottom.

Heat rises. That's why your house has more insulation in the roof than the walls. Mass is important in desigining passive-solar architecture, but much less important in designing a smoker. Besides, that's what the water pan is for.

That said, use sand if you want instead of water (or even use kitty litter) for the contents of the water pan. As far as I'm concerned, that's your business. However, water is a miracle substance in terms of thermal mass plus the amount of energy it takes to evaporate it. So I use water; unless of course, I'm trying to dehydrate something (like hot peppers or jerky).

BTW: My original water pan shot craps along time ago. I found a perfect fit, even a little deeper, in a stainless-steel mixing bowl made by (having a CRS moment, sorry).

Mark's Answer
Part B.

See part A.
Where I smoke is basically weather proof. Wind, rain and snow are problems which have been eliminated. No moisture and just enuf air gets in so that in case I pass out while smoking, I won't suffocate. It's on a concrete pad under a sunroom extension of my house. Above it is galvanized roofing and it's surrounded by some metal office cubicle panels that I salvaged Then there's a fence behind that and I took the acrylic panels and steel frames off some standard 4-bulb, 4-foot fluorescent light fixtures to go from the top of the fence to the galvanized roofing. The only thing that wasn't salvaged was my Bandera. Even my wood is salvaged. Wait, I take it back; I bought 2 plastic lattice 4X8 panels outside the acryic light frames (to make everything look purty from the outside).

Actually, the whole area doesn't look like $hit; not that I care. But the neighbors might. You should already know how to solve pesky neighbor problems.

Once I put up my hammock, I can live out there year round.

Last edited:
Mark,

pics would really help us newbs to visualize all this.. I know its a farkin' pain, but any way you could take some?
Thanks for this valuable post either way!

B

I already did post pics. click here and go half way down the page and click on the link for the pics.

As for my more recent mods to the top, I aint got no pics and aint got no camera. Sorry. But it's easy to visualize. Just visualize bending a stainles steel rectangle into an arch to fit in the lid cavity and pop-rivet in place. Then do another one the other direction and also pop-rivet in place.

PS: stainless-steel water pan replacement

It's a mixing bowl manufactured by Mirro. I don't have the model/part #. It's at home.

PSS: The pics show another aluminum plate on the inside of the firebox lid. I forgot to mention that. So I have a total of 5 layers (including the original lid) insulating the top. And no, it's not excessively heavy.

Back