Finishing a packer in the oven

hominamad

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey everyone - 2 years ago I posted this thread, about how I smoke flats and then transfer to the oven in an oven bag and was having great and consistent success with it.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277830&page=2

I decided to give it a shot with a full packer..and this time I'm thinking to see what happens if I forgo the bag, and wrap it in paper for the oven finish.

I'm using snake method on the kettle, which usually gives me 4-6 hours of smoke time. Was then going to move to the oven overnight, wrapped in butcher paper.

A few questions - not sure what I should set the oven at? I'm basically planning on letting it go overnight while i'm sleeping, but will leave a probe in with an alarm, which I guess I'll set to wake me up if it goes past 205 internal.

Should I set oven to 225? Would even lower be ok, just to get it even slower?

Also, timing-wise, any idea what would happen if I pull it off the smoker, let it come to room temp, and then stick in the oven a few hours later? This is more for logistical reasons..but I'm curious what sort of effect that would have on the meat.

Thanks!

20210924-144047.jpg

20210924-144226.jpg

When using the oven if no where near done try 250-275. Once you get in the 190s let the heat out of the oven and put it 170 or if goes lower even better.

I've run the oven at 225 and I've also done 205.

I used to smoke to 170 (around 10 hours) and pan/foil the meat and oven finish slowly for the rest of the night. It works.

Thanks - any idea what would happen if I let it come to room temp after the smoke, and then put in the oven?

Oven! Nope, heck no, that just ain't right. It's like driving a corvette in the rain.

Ha ok - well if you buy me a cooker that will do a full packer smoke without me having to wake up int he middle of the night 3 times to refill the charcoal, and convince my wife to put it on our patio, I'll gladly smoke it the whole time in that. Let me know which one you're gonna buy me :-D

In any case, of course this isn't "traditional", but it's an experiment, and if it produces great results, who cares?

I've put them on the smoker for 4 or 5 hours - then into the oven overnight at 170. They might not be done at the crack of dawn but you can turn that knob up some to 250-275 and finish it off to your liking.

Letting come to room temp then in oven may dry it out. I have finished briskets in oven no problem. Usually 210-225. If want to get some sleep I would put at 210 with a 202-203 alarm set on probe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm wrapping and only cooking 1 or 2 pieces of meat, I don't mind using the oven. Generally 250f

Late to the party but no reason to let it come down to room temp, it still needs to get around 200 before its done and added time means dryer meat and food safety also .

Back