Finding split seasoned wood in Massachusetts is no fun.

" Have Chainsaw, will travel".
You mean to tell me you can't find wood up
in your area?
Isn't that like Eskimoes buying Ice??"

Do you have any idea how many tree huggers we have up here?!?!?! We damn near have to wait until Mother Nature takes the tree down for us first!!

Your best bet is to find a local firewood guy and talk to him. Tell him how much you're looking for, what you're looking for etc and if he's a good firewood guy, he'll help you out. Just expect to pay market prices for seasoned wood which is about $250 per cord. Once you get a relationship established then you can ask for just oak, hickory or apple and i'm sure they guy will keep his eyes open for a certain type of wood and get you what you want. There are a lot of firewood companies out by me that would have no issue at all getting whatever wood you wanted. And keep an eye on CL or even the side of the roads. LOTS of tree trimming by the electric company this time of year.

Yeah, we have trees, and we have guys who sell firewood that they say is "seasoned", even if the tree was felled the month before. And most sell cords that really aren't quite 4x4x8.

It's a royal PITA to find a steady source of seasoned firewood. That's why I switched to Envi 8 firebricks several years ago.

I do miss going through the load of firewood and stealing the cherry to use for smoking. :wink:

But.....you guys have like actual tree's up there. How is this a problem....

Basically everyone I call says they can sell me wood, it's "hardwood, mostly oak". But they can't guarantee all one species or even what the mix is. It won't be a problem for me next year as I already have plenty of oak I'm chopping up currently on my land. But for folks without land/trees they have to find a source. Since everyone is selling it for heating, not cooking it's hard to find a certain species.

I did get a bunch of apple from an orchard but too many small branches, not a lot of splits or logs big enough to split.

Back