Finally started my new pit build

Would you be willing to make me up four my build. Happy to pay for the time and materials. Those are great looking. Need two sets for my doors on my tank.

Sorry Triple T but I just don't have the time right now. I'm flattered that you would even be interested but I just can't do it right now. If you take a picture or drawing of what you want into a local fab shop, I'm sure they would have no trouble cutting out a set for you. Thanks again for the interest.

Phrasty had a great build thread! This one looks to be a winner as well. Really like the hinges. But dang, a 5/16" door? You might need a sky hook to open it!

Yeah, the whole thing is made out of 5/16" plate that I had rolled. It's definitely heavy but the door actually swings fairly easily on those heavy duty hinges. A counterbalance is in the works so it should not be a problem. Thanks for lookin.

Yeah, the whole thing is made out of 5/16" plate that I had rolled. It's definitely heavy but the door actually swings fairly easily on those heavy duty hinges. A counterbalance is in the works so it should not be a problem. Thanks for lookin.

Yeah living here in Oregon you want that thing thick so it won't rust away in a couple of years that should last you a life time

YAY, another build thread!!! I gotta agree with the others, I love those hinges. I was going to ask about a set also, but I understand. Looking forward to more pron.

Matt

Did you make those hinges or have a machine shop make them lookgood, BTW don't worry about welding stainless to mild steel work good.

Did you make those hinges or have a machine shop make them lookgood, BTW don't worry about welding stainless to mild steel work good.

You need a 309 rod or wire ideally for welding dissimilar steels 308 will work but has a high chance of cracking. Mild steel wire will likely brake some day down the road.

Thanks, I made em on the mill at work....I should have made them lift off a bit higher, it's a tight fit as the door swings open but a little finesse with a grinder and it swings smoothly now.

You need a 309 rod or wire ideally for welding dissimilar steels 308 will work but has a high chance of cracking. Mild steel wire will likely brake some day down the road.
I think bbq boyee is right about the 309 rod but I have had pretty good luck in the past with 308 so hopefully it works out OK this time....I didn't get anything too hot and staggered welds so I think I'll be OK.

I think bbq boyee is right about the 309 rod but I have had pretty good luck in the past with 308 so hopefully it works out OK this time....I didn't get anything too hot and staggered welds so I think I'll be OK.

Oh yeah you'll defently be ok with welding it with 308, it's just that sometimes it can crack while cooling afteryou weld. Not much to worry about structurally with just a BBQ lid to support but just cosmetically speaking not always the best option. Not trying to be a know-it-all or an ass. Just a welder by trade and thought I'd share what I know.

Oh yeah you'll defently be ok with welding it with 308, it's just that sometimes it can crack while cooling afteryou weld. Not much to worry about structurally with just a BBQ lid to support but just cosmetically speaking not always the best option. Not trying to be a know-it-all or an ass. Just a welder by trade and thought I'd share what I know.

Hey, I appreciate and need any advice I can get! The reason I'm putting pics of this build on the brethren page is to mull it over with you experts and hopefully end up with a nice and functional pit when it's all said and done. I'll gladly take any criticism or advice you have to offer! Keep it comin!:thumb:

new pics

Got some cool lookin legs, a handle and the end pieces welded on...time to start workin on the fire box and vertical cabinet

Attachments

• DSCF6262.JPG
    DSCF6262.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF6264.JPG
    DSCF6264.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 165
Any damper ideas?

Got the pieces for the firebox cut out and scored a 5" chrome stack that I'll be adding as soon as I fab up the chimney perch. I plan to have the exhaust stack come out right between the two cooking grates on the back of the cooker on the end , does that sound about right or should I put it a bit higher? Also, any good ideas for a homemade damper that can completely close off the chimney when I want it to? The style that swings over the top of the stack will not work for because of the elbow and slash cut end. Any suggestions or pics??

Back