Finally got me a slicer

Lordkifar

Full Fledged Farker
Well...I finally found one that I like. It is obviously second hand, and is in pretty good shape. Just signs of use but no major dings. Blade looks relatively new and shiney with no signs of rust or broken parts in the blade. It is very sharp in its current state. Only thing missing was the sharpening stone although I don't see where it would fit in the cover on top. I guess I could get an external sharpening stone or something like the speedysharp.

The brand is Omega (Minerva Omega slicers) and it is made in Italy. Very silent when running although I didn't have anything to slice up so I will reserve judgement till such time that I do. It is 0.35hp so relatively decent in power. The company describes on their website that it is for "For supermarkets, hypermarkets, food retail and collective catering" so I reckon my occasional use will not put too much stress on this beast. Beast? Yes....yes it is...It weighs 75lbs so not the lightest of machines.....I was informed by the Missus that I can get any slicer I want so long as it is not stored on the counter.

Orginially in a post a couple of weeks back, through the help of the Brethren on here, I came to the conclusion that a 9" blade was small for my needs so I focused my searches on 10+"...well this one is a 12"!! I think I will be very happy for years to come :-D

Now as to price, these models seem to go for an arm and a leg brand new roughly about 2900 USD based on UK pricing. I picked it up for 208 USD if I include the gas I paid (drove about a 100 miles each way to another city but went with the Missus and the kids and we made a roadtrip out opf it and did some cool family activities....a win/win). A gentleman had bought it for home use from a Deli and he didn't care for taking it out from the kitchen cabinet everytime. He was happy to sell it and I guess I was happy to buy it.

Wiped it down and cleaned what I could....oiled around with mineral oil where needed adn seems to be running smooth..again will need to test the cut. It can go cut from 1 to 24 mm (well technically 0 to 24 mm but that is just silly) so nearly 1 inch thick. I usually work in the 1 to 5 mm range so rest is gravy if needed.

Now on to the pics and thanks to all the brethren who weighed in on my previous post and helped guide me in the decision making process.

32050372602_e20df0852d_b.jpg

31823372910_be622571c2_b.jpg

31357473224_a42d62c6e3_b.jpg

Last edited:
I believe you did pretty good on your score! Looks in good shape. It looks like the cover is there where your sharpening stone would be...maybe you could find a manual or a parts break down on the net and order what you need...just a thought.

I believe you did pretty good on your score! Looks in good shape. It looks like the cover is there where your sharpening stone would be...maybe you could find a manual or a parts break down on the net and order what you need...just a thought.

Indeed if a shaprening stone came on this model, it would be there under that cover. I guess I would need to speak to a supplier/service person to understand how to fit it in and at what orientation or even need to see the part live in order to tell. I don't have the manual but working on getting one.

Looks great! Keep us posted with updates after you get few runs in.

Jealous. Really would love to get one. I always end up with left overs when I cook Tri tip for just the 2 of us, and the Missus loves thin sliced TT Sandwiches. Just no fun to use my little 8" Waring - doesn't feed well, doesn't do super thin well, and a PIA to clean.

Someday.....

I'm gonna put you down with something from my home town of Baltimore, Maryland that youa re going to love, and it's soooo simple. It's called Pit Beef, and it's a close second to crabs for being our state food.

Here's what you do: Get yourself a good cut of bottom round, liberally dust with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then a light sprinkling of garlic powder. Throw it on a open coal fire using direct heat and cook till medium, turning periodically to char up all sides. Take off heat, lightly cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes, then slice as thin as you can get that bad ass slicer to get, the thinner, the better. Stack the meat on a sweet kaiser roll with some raw sliced white onion, bbq sauce and a little bit of creamy horseradish-sauce. Here are some pics from a pit beef cook I did a few years back.

P.S. I'm super jealous of your slicer!

I'm gonna put you down with something from my home town of Baltimore, Maryland that youa re going to love, and it's soooo simple. It's called Pit Beef, and it's a close second to crabs for being our state food.

Here's what you do: Get yourself a good cut of bottom round, liberally dust with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then a light sprinkling of garlic powder. Throw it on a open coal fire using direct heat and cook till medium, turning periodically to char up all sides. Take off heat, lightly cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes, then slice as thin as you can get that bad ass slicer to get, the thinner, the better. Stack the meat on a sweet kaiser roll with some raw sliced white onion, bbq sauce and a little bit of creamy horseradish-sauce. Here are some pics from a pit beef cook I did a few years back.

P.S. I'm super jealous of your slicer!

Thank you so much for that recipe and link....I literally started salivating as I was reading...definitely will be trying this in the coming weeks!

Back