Finally emptied my wallet and bought Carne Crosta

Looks like ya nailed it :thumb: cutting grill grates and all...that’s dedication. I like to think of Carne Crosta as making beef beefier, no single ingredient really shines through, it’s the summation of all of them when cooked on steak where the magic happens.

Beautiful cook! Carne Crosta is no joke!! Did you use Carne Crosta by itself, or add a light layer of salt? I usually dry brine steaks overnight then apply CC about 30 mins before the cook. It’s all good though :)

Beautiful cook! Carne Crosta is no joke!! Did you use Carne Crosta by itself, or add a light layer of salt? I usually dry brine steaks overnight then apply CC about 30 mins before the cook. It’s all good though :)

I wanted to do a fair unbias taste test, so i used only Carne Crosta. I didn't even use a finishing salt. The wife and i both thought it was perfect as is.

I might add a sprinkle of Maldon salt next time just to see if it brings out any additional flavors.

I love this stuff. Although there are many ways to use it, once I followed the directions below I do not divert much from them. Fantastic!

From the website:

Carne Crosta (pronounced car-nay crow-sta), loosely translated as “Beef Crust” in Portuguese, is exactly what this rub will produce. It excels when cooked over high direct heat, especially on well-marbled cuts of beef. The high cooking temperatures are necessary to release oils in the rich Brazilian coffee, which intertwine with the spices and rendered fat, creating the most sumptuously-crusted steak you’ve ever experienced.
This is our most technical rub and does require correct cooking technique to achieve the best results. We recommend applying a light coating (about a teaspoon per side) of extra virgin olive oil to all sides of the steak or cut of beef prior to applying the rub. The purpose for the EVOO is not to help the rub stick, it will do that just fine on its own. Instead, the purpose is to use this specific type of oil to develop yet another layer of flavor to the steak. This step is purely optional, but recommended nonetheless. You see, extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point, and some of it will burn when you sear your steaks, but this is desirable, as the flavors imparted by the slight burning of EVOO are quite pleasant and very tasty.
Additionally, you will want to cook this rub with very high (600º-700º F) direct heat. This means you will need to sear directly over the coals. Cast iron grill grates work the best as they allow the direct radiant heat to contact the sides of the steak while also making killer grill marks. However, any standard open wire grill will do just fine. We use Weber charcoal grills exclusively and have wonderful results with their stock grates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steak looks fantastic! And where are you getting Ribeye for $5.99 a pound?
It's $14.99 here at Costco and $20.99 at Giant - no thanks.

Steak looks fantastic! And where are you getting Ribeye for $5.99 a pound?
It's $14.99 here at Costco and $20.99 at Giant - no thanks.

It was actually a NY strip. I missed the sale. It was one of those 3 day sales at Weis.

The NY Strip was from a previous sale for $6.99lb.

Is there a secret to the dry brine method? I ruined SRF prime ribeyes tonight doing a dry brine and Carne Crosta - they were salt licks :wacko:

How much salt do you use? I use a heavy coat on the top and bottom with either kosher or Celtic sea salt, let it sit for a couple hours in the refrigerator uncovered, then wash off all the salt and pat dry. Coated with Carne Crosta 30-45 minutes prior to cooking. Very tender, but *way* too salty.

My poor wife :sad:

I just salt the steaks and let them sit for 10-15 min so the salt can bring out the moisture.
Then I season with CC and let them sit for a few min before heading to the grill.

Is there a secret to the dry brine method? I ruined SRF prime ribeyes tonight doing a dry brine and Carne Crosta - they were salt licks :wacko:

How much salt do you use? I use a heavy coat on the top and bottom with either kosher or Celtic sea salt, let it sit for a couple hours in the refrigerator uncovered, then wash off all the salt and pat dry. Coated with Carne Crosta 30-45 minutes prior to cooking. Very tender, but *way* too salty.

Well, I can't speak for rwalters, but i found a liberal coat of CC was more then enough flavor. I would do a light sprinkle of a coarse salt either an hour before, or as a finish right before serving.

Sorry to hear you ruined expensive cut of meat. I guess you live and learn.

Oh man, that stinks! I dry brine most all larger cuts of meat and steaks. For steaks, I apply a light coating of kosher salt and let it sit and work it’s magic overnight. Imagine yourself sprinkling salt on buttered cob of corn. That’s how much salt I use on steaks when dry brining.

Oh man, that stinks! I dry brine most all larger cuts of meat and steaks. For steaks, I apply a light coating of kosher salt and let it sit and work it’s magic overnight. Imagine yourself sprinkling salt on buttered cob of corn. That’s how much salt I use on steaks when dry brining.
I was following a dry brine method that I found on YouTube that pretty much buries the meat in salt, gets rinsed, then seasoned and cooked. I tried it with choice ribeyes a few times and it worked pretty well. SRF, not so much.

Love Carne Crosta on ribeyes. Wifey not a fan (my steak is on the right). The Otto Wilde locks the rub in really well.
f36ca1b11951ade3c89e0d830374b08d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CurtP - THAT's too much salt. The salt draws moisture from the center of the meat, then the meat sucks that salty moisture back in - 1 tsp/lb is about the amount I use.
I let it ride at least 3 hours, overnight is ok, 2 or 3 days - no good.
You don't even have anything to wash off, which I wouldn't do anyway.

I won a philly cheese steak competition using corna crosta on the ribeye steak before searing. It is by far the best steak rub i have ever used.

I wanted to do a fair unbias taste test, so i used only Carne Crosta. I didn't even use a finishing salt. The wife and i both thought it was perfect as is.

I might add a sprinkle of Maldon salt next time just to see if it brings out any additional flavors.

I´ve been a big fan of CC for a long time and recently discovered Maldon. It is AMAZING to add to a CC seared steak!

I´ve been a big fan of CC for a long time and recently discovered Maldon. It is AMAZING to add to a CC seared steak!

Yeah, I love Maldon flakes. I had a buddy (yes i actually have a friend/s) over for the fights over the weekend, and while steak wasn't originally on the menu, i was craving another CC steak so i had to make one for him to try. This time i finished it with a spinkle of Maldon flakes. We both agree'd it was one of the best steaks we had. It was definitely better with the addition of a light sprinkle of salt.

Sorry no pics, too busy cooking and watching fights.

Back