Finally; a NEW smoker for this old dog...

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Hance
Nearly 15 years ago I wanted a new RF smoker. I didnt have the funds, but I located a guy near Birmingham, AL who was selling a used Lang 84DX that wasn't kept well at all. I drove over and picked it up, lots of restoration (as best I could do, and I'm not a welder), and it was good for 13 years. I sold it to a gent in Nashville for a little more than I bought it for (he knew it needed a little welding work), and have been without for more than 2 years. It's been a long wait. During that time we tried, dare I type it, being vegetarian. Honestly though, we needed more veggies in our diet, so we're better for it. But, I longed for a good juicy medium-rare steak and some BBQ.

Well, I decided that you live once, and you might was well enjoy it. I've waited long enough. A few weeks back I ordered a custom made RF smoker from Bubba Grills (He's only about 4 miles from my house). They're putting the final touches on it now, and I'll pick it up Friday morning:

It's a Bubba Grills 250R; the same he uses much of the time, and he won MiM Ribs a few years back on one of these... 3rd rack inside (for tons of ribs/chicken). Aluminum wheels. No gas *starter* that he puts on some; no gas or lighter fluid for this guy (my baby will never be exposed to such travesty).

Planning the initial seasoning starting later in the morning Friday; then a nice steak dinner date with the wife in the evening. I think I'll get up and cook on her (the smoker, not the wife) Saturday morning.

Congrats, I almost ordered that same smoker a few months ago. The only reason I didn't was freight was 2X the cost of the smoker to get it to the West Coast.

While you were taking time off grazing the thieves were perfecting their skills. May I suggest a coupler/hitch lock and some tempered chain/cable for the wheels. If you live in an area that requires a license plate, mount it in such a way that it can be easily removed and stored. Public and at least two private VIN’s one of which on the axles.

That is an awesome cooker. Pickpockets and thieves everywhere.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Coupler_Locks-sf-Latch_Lock.aspx

Last edited:
That is one beautiful smoking piece of machinery! Please make sure to give us a review after using it. I will have to write this company's name down for the future when I upgrade to this level. Congrats!

That is one beautiful smoking piece of machinery! Please make sure to give us a review after using it. I will have to write this company's name down for the future when I upgrade to this level. Congrats!

The owner is Lonnie Smith. They've been making Bubba Grills' smokers now probably 20 years. Their reverse flow smoker is right there in quality and performance with Lang, and frankly less expensive.

Unlike the Lang guys (and I owned an 84DX for just over 13 years), Lonnie cooks competitively on his. He's had well over 60 GC's in KCBS, GBA, MiM, MBN, etc. He won Ribs at Memphis In May a couple of years ago...

The years when I competed in MBN against him and Myron or Myron's boys, I had success besting Myron but I never could beat Lonnie. The guy can slap cook and compete!

The firebox is done a bit different from Lang, with MUCH heavier metal (like twice as thick), and the welds are a little better from what I can tell. It's a little smaller (top to bottom). The baffle is a little lower than the Lang, so there's space between the bottom rack and the baffle. Lonnie also has a trap door type of thing there, so some use this like a grill... I wont, but it makes cleaning it easier. I like the door latches a little better on the Lang, but these are very worthy on the Bubba Grills... I'll miss the gull-wing double sided entry of the Lang 84; but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

I dont mean anything against Lang. I'd LOVE to have a new 84. But, this one, a little smaller than the 84 but larger than the 60, is right at 1/2 the price of the 84...

www.bubbagrills.net

While you were taking time off grazing the thieves were perfecting their skills. May I suggest a coupler/hitch lock and some tempered chain/cable for the wheels. If you live in an area that requires a license plate, mount it in such a way that it can be easily removed and stored. Public and at least two private VIN’s one of which on the axles.

That is an awesome cooker. Pickpockets and thieves everywhere.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Coupler_Locks-sf-Latch_Lock.aspx

I've been reading a lot about smokers getting stolen. We're pretty much out in the boonies, and everyone else around us is secured pretty much as we are. We always keep trailer hitch locks and tennis balls in them. Then, there's dogs, cameras, and the ever-present guns (I'm a fan of Glocks and Remington shotguns). We stay prepared, I'm afraid... VERY low to nearly no crime in our area. Occasionally a boat is pilfered, but that's about it.

Funny (quick) story on that; one night last spring we were awakened by the dogs barking, and as I opened my eyes I saw lights bouncing everywhere. I got up and let the dogs out (one is a particularly large Lab whose bark alone sounds like she's 400lbs; one of those loud DEEP barks), and then turned the lights on. I've never seen guys panic like they did. They each let out a yell and I swear you could hear the butts pucker! They couldn't see that we have a fenced yard and that the dogs couldn't get to them. They literally dived into their boat. They weren't trying to steal anything; one of their jugs (jug fishing) had gone under my dock and they were trying to retrieve it...

Welcome to living at the lake...

Back