Fence around your area at a contest

Guy,
You are right. Unfortunately some folks are just stupid, or have no manners and will try to get something for nothing. I agree that using fencing or some such thing may be necessary. It won't keep all out, just as the lock on your house will keep most out, but not the professional theif. My point was to educate the majority so good people would know the rules and not be frustrated. Then you just have to worry about the wackos.

kcquer said:
Move to the Midwest where folks still have manners.
cant agree with that one..we have had similar stuff happen at comps and we only do midwest ones..
rudeness is not limited to any geographical area..

The_Kapn said:
I just find all of this amazing.

I have not been around "forever"--but I have never seen anything like what is being reported from the NY area.
icon_evil.gif

That would call for a 12 guage
icon_evil.gif

RUDE
icon_evil.gif

TIM

I have to agree with ya. I don't recall ever seeing much like that go on at teh contests I've been to and I was a spectator and very careful observer so I would think I would notice some of those things. I guess us Florida folks are a little more polite than up north.

I've seen a few different competitions around my area and seen how they were setup and run. THe PigFest in Lakeland, FL has become one of the biggest KCBS events and it's done pretty well I think. All the competitors/venders there have signs that they place in front of their stands that are Red Letters on White backing that simply state Vending(for pig bucks) or Competition only No Vending. This event has been going on for quite a few years now and I only started attending it over the last 2 years so they've had a long time to get things right. The first year I was there I was strictly a spectator without a clue what to expect. My second year there was as a brand spankin new KCBS Judge. I met Tim there and he showed me the ropes and introduced me to quite a few of the big timers there. I got to see more of the "other Side" of BBQ.

At the Smoke on the Water event in WInter Haven, FL, This past year was their 2nd annual event. I was there last year as a spectator and can say I was really not impressed. This year, they've gotten more of the kinks worked out and it turned out the be a pretty nice little event and has trhe great potential to become a pretty large FBA event. The first year, it wasn't that great, but then again it happens about 1-2 weeks after Pigfest. Lakeland and Winter Haven are 2 cities pretty close ot each other so alot of the same people from one would be at the other. I think the first year, everybody was having trouble. Temps were cold and alot of people were having trouble cooking. It was hard to tell who was vending and who wasn't. Very few were vending at that event. I think I stayed there long enough to buy one plate of food (it was nearly ice cold) and I left. The second year I was there helping the Southern Brethren cook as they were showing me the ropes and giving me an Idea of what goes on in a comp and I was taking notes to help me make better BBQ at home. Thanks again Tim and Dave. The second year they had entertainment setup, better hookup facilites for the competitors and a better layout in general.
Hopefully, with the next year, the coordinators will have a better idea of what needs are there. And, with some of you guys out there adding a little logistiical input tot eh sponsrs, it can only get better.

Last edited:
We had a guy walk up and try to take a sample off of our cutting board while we were plating our brisket. I was tired, sleepy, cranky and holding a large knife. Not a good combination for people who have a fondness for all of their fingers...

Back