FEC100 or Yoder YS640?

I know I'm not BD, but I think that is the very reason they are going to the YS1500. The YS1320 was just a bit to small for some comp cooks, so they added the 6" to make it the YS1500. I hope I'll find out more for sure next week, but that is my thought.

He's right on the money. :thumb:

BOT Based on what you say in post 19, it does sound like the FEC would suit you better.

How do you all like cooking with pellets? I am considering placing an order for a YS1500, but I have always cooked on charcoal, or sticks. Will I love pellets? I love the way the pit looks, but a little hung up on pellets?

You guys must have read my mind I was on both of those sites last night looking, you answered so many questions I had...

Thank you

I've been cooking with pellets for about 7 years and enjoy it. I also cook with charcoal and sticks in other cookers, but my FEC and Memphis Pro are my comp cookers.

There can be a difference between the smoke flavor when compared to others types of cookers, but that will vary depending on what you compare it to, who does the cooking and what type and how much wood they use. I have done side-by-side comparisons with food cooked on a Jambo at competitions, plus I have talked to cooks who have used both an FEC and a Jambo and there is very little difference between the food from an FEC and a Jambo.

Plus, is 6 or 7 years of cooking with the FEC I have never had anyone, general public, judge or another comp cook, say that my food didn't have enough smoke flavor.

I do cook differently with the pellet cookers than my other cookers, however. I start the cook off at a lower temp so the pellet fire isn't burning as efficiently to get more smoke and then kick up the temp after a while. This seems to work well.

you use a Memphis Pro for comps....? isn't it just a grill? they don't have much cooking area

I use it along with my FEC-100, so space isn't an issue.

The Memphis Pro will cook at any temp from 180 - 650. It is a grill and a smoker.

Apron

Definitely the 640. Way more cool things you can do with one. The FEC is a great oven and great for competition but the 640 is the King of Backyard Pellet Poopers IMHO.

+1
Get the competition cart and some GRill Grates for direct searing, a thermapen and nothing else is needed. From what I have seen, the yoders put out more one also.

I, like Ron, cook with wood, charcoal, and pellets. If I want to have my food have the smokiest flavor, I cook with charcoal and wood chunks because they are efficient cookers that require very little airflow and the smoke stands around a little longer but never stale or bitter. Cooking for the first 6 hours or so of my cook at 180* on my pellet grill, then kicking up the temp to 225*-250* to finish the cook, I get a smoke flavor very similar to my stickburner burning only wood, mild and very good.

IF you use sub-par brand pellets and cook hotter, you won't get much smoke flavor, but if you use a good brand of pellets like Lumberjack (my fav), BBQr's Delight or Cookinpellets, you will get a good smoke flavor, but never strong or bitter. There are also some solutions for supplement smoke if you really feel the need, I never have.

The best part about pellet cookers is you can sleep, run errands, play with the kids, etc. and not have to worry about stoking the fire. Just make sure the pellet hopper has pellets in it.

Back