THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I make my own butt and brisket rubs, as well as my own butt, brisket, and chicken sauces.

That said, I just ordered some Plowboys Yardbird and Bovine Bold from Great Lakes BBQ Supply. I've used the Yardbird before, and am curious about the Bovine Bold. I have a feeling it will be a lot like my brisket rub.

"The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe from the book Smoke & Spice.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Southern Succor Rub[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup Turbinado sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 Tablespoons table salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 teaspoons dry mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt, with some leftover for use in the Southern Sop.[/FONT]

Anyone else care to comment on other really good recipes from Smoke & Spice?

I buy some at a local farmer's market from a guy who goes by the name "Salty Don". He makes and uses smoked salt in his rubs. I also use a bunch of recipes from the Fine Cooking site. And I have Jim Tarantino's book Marinades, Rubs, Brines, cures & Glazes, and I'm fond of his North African Cumin Spice Rub. An astoundingly simple rub is za'atar spice from a local store, mixed with a little olive oil.

Keep notes, experiment, have fun. I'm looking at a page of Tarantino right now, and I want to try all of these: orange-chile powder rub; ancho-espresso dry rub; ancho-cocoa dry rub; lemon-espresso rub. The ancho-cocoa one is surely for either beef or turkey (ancient Mexicans reserved that to their emperors!). Chicken or pork with the others.

On salmon the other night, I used:
2T red-wine and garlic mustard, mixed with
2T olive oil,
1/2 t fresh ground toasted cumin,
1/2 t New Mexico chili,
and salt and fresh ground black pepper.

I liked it, so did my wife.

Last edited:
This is great...does anyone know of a similar thread on wet rubs or marinades?

Back