Fathers Day Cook

Big Luvin

Name or Nickame
Justin
I volunteered to cook my own Fathers Day meal this year (my first as a dad). Decided that a brisket was just the thing this Texas boy living in California needs. But I really didn't want to have to get up a 3 am to start the cook, so it went on tonight. 14 lb. prime packer from Costco, although, after trimming, it's probably only 12 lbs (fat cap was almost 3/4"). I'm testing myself as I left my UDS at home and am using my father-in-laws Traeger. I'm hoping that with what I've learned from other threads on here, it will turn out great. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else cooks up.

13411706_10205213659015825_1849913165635312681_o.jpg

Congratulations on your first Fathers Day, Big Luvin'!

Nice hunk of meat, brother. Looking forward to seeing how your cook and feast plays out.

Enjoy!

Congrats from me as well.
Hope everyone enjoys your food

Great minds think alike. I did a brisket as well for Father's day. First one on this polecat smoker. However, I did opt to getting up at 3am to fire things up.
Need...more...coffee.

Thanks!

I did get up during the night to check on it, and much to my surprise, the fire went out, twice. :shocked: I didn't think that was supposed to happen with the pellet burners. It still had plenty of fuel, just stopped burning. The first time, I cleared the hopper down to the auger and heard a woosh of it lighting. Then all hell broke loose and I had a massive fire going. Pulled the meat, and controlled the fire. Got it restarted and looking normal again, so I went back to bed for a couple more hours. And it was out again. This time I removed the meat, grate, drip pan, and heat diffuser thing to clean out from that side. Got it running again without the massive fire this time. Hopefully the meat still turns out.

Back