THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tinman

Knows what a fatty is.
I finally decided to give brisket a go on the UDS. I trimmed up this 19 pounder and coated it with salt and pepper. I will let it ride low until it gets the color I want, and then wrap in butcher paper an crank up the heat a bit until it probes tender.....that's the plan at least.

More pron to come...
Tin

I am probing it, but it is hard to say if it is time to pull it. I have always gone by temp, and I am trying to go by feel on this one. The point is probing tender, but the thickets part of the flat feels a bit resistant still. It is hard to tell with the butcher paper grabbing the probe though. I haven't done the butcher paper thing either...so a lot of new stuff going on here. Looks like the the thickest part of the flat is at about 190ish right now too. Not sure what to do.
I am thinking of making some burnt ends with the point; when do you guys usually separate it and make the ends?

I pulled it when I thought the thickest part of the flat was feeling butter soft, and put it in the cooler for an hour. It was juicy, perfect pull-apart tender, and really great smoke flavor. I used peach wood on this one, and am definitely loving the character it gives. When I separated the flat from the point, it almost fell apart. I chopped up the point and put it back in for some burnt ends.
I am more than satisfied with the UDS's ability to turn out some spectacular brisket.

Thanks for lookin!
Tinman

Only problem with a packer that big is it is hard to convince the wife I need to Q something else today, with a fridge full of leftovers.

That looks great tinman well done!! To keep from getting a false probe reading after you wrap it take a knife and stab through paper in the area where your gonna probe it.

Back