Father’s Day Carne Crosta

mbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
Got some delicious Prime Strips from 44 Farms here in Texas. I’ve always wanted to try Carne Crosta and thought Father’s Day would be a good excuse. Sometimes I Sous Vide steaks (then sear), sometimes I reverse sear in the pellet pooper and finish with a Cast Iron Pan, sometimes I grill. What’s best for Carne Crosta? I’m thinking direct grill and flip every couple minutes until they’re ready, but thought I’d ask those of you that have experience with the rub. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Reverse sear is great. I’m gonna do that with some tri tip tonight. Put on the cool side and let it come up to 120ish, slowly. Then get the fire roaring hot and sear for a couple of minutes on each side until your desired temp. Medium rare is 140-145ish

Reverse sear on a bigger steak or direct on your typical 1.5" steak is what I normally do. If you decide to SV then sear, I would recommend putting Carne Crosta on after it has already gone in the sous vide and before the sear. Get it nice and black looking and enjoy :thumb:

Thanks. No issue of the rub sweating off on reverse sear before you put it on the direct heat? Or, like SV do you add some more before the sear?

Ive not had any issue with the rub sweating off during reverse sear. I dont add more before the sear. I would let the rub set up on the steak for 20 or 30 minutes before you cook it though. You will be able to tell when its there by the color change.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. Because the steaks were 1 to 1.5” I ended up Direct Grilling (flipping every 2 min or so) until I hit 125 to account for any carryover. Carne Crosta May be my new favorite steak seasoning.

My favorite part...I told my wife about the rub who of course didn’t care. She asked me to cook hers with my normal salt, pepper and garlic treatment. After she took a bite of mine she had steak envy.

Back