Fat side Up or down, the poll.

C

ckkphoto

I am curious about how the water pan affects the results with a brisket.

Couldn't answer accurately so chose either way. I do fat cap down, but it depends on what cooker I am using if there is a water pan or not.

this is what I was thinking...the fat cap would seem to be a necessary heat shield when using sand or no water, but using water IME has kept the bottom from burning. When my water pan rusted a hole, I had to start cooking fat down (yes I flip halfway). So I decided to run the poll and see if there is a correlation between water pan and up/down preference.

Sod goes green side up, brisket cooks fat cap down. If only every thing was so simple.

Neither!?!

actually if im only doing 1-2 whole briskets I trim almost all the fat off, maybe leaving 1/8" - 1/4" on it. Where ever there is heavy fat I will hack it out put on the rub use a waterpan and when I add fuel I will also spray with whatever concoction I choose. My therory which seems to work, fat will only melt off so much, therefore you have a finished untrimmed brisket with 1/4" of seasoned fat over meat. Most dining guests logic " O' fat lets cut it off and not eat it" ok now that seasoning is wasted and your meat is only half seasoned. but by leaving a small amount of fat it melts away marries with seasoning and is deposited onto the meat still leaving "fat moisture" during the cooking proccess. I almost never put in foil and have a moist and firm (Not tough) finished product. Although last time after 6 hrs I put into foil for 2hrs then out again for 1hr, results were very good just on the verge of falling appart but still remaining intact. I prefer not to have my brisket fall appart that should be left for pulled pork. Just my 2 cents

RE: Re: RE: Fat side Up or down, the poll.

That was the case for me pryor to finding the Brethren!

Heck, I didn't even know what a brisket was before I came here. I had heard of it but never had any.

Fat down/no pan because my large cooker has no water pan. When using the WSM I do fat down/pan with water.

I voted fat down, no water pan since I've olny cooked briskets in my CS, and it doesn't have a water pan. I have on in the freezer. I'll try it on the WSM in a few weeks.

Back