THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
So i am dying to use my new wsm but work all day sunday and got a 7lb boston butt thawed but dont have 12 hours to cook it tomorrow :(. Any suggestions on temp or how long i should cook for?

You can cook a butt as high as you want. On a WSM it will still get smoke and won't take forever. I cook mine at 300-350* and they are usually done in around 6 hours. Don't let low and slow fool you. High heat is the way to go, even if you aren't in a hurry :boxing::boxing::becky:

I've been doing lots of butts lately, and most of the time, they are cooking in the 275-300 range, but I like to start off a little lower, maybe 225-250, then ramp up the heat in an attempt to get a deeper smoke ring setup. Then after 2 hours, I'll open up the vents, kick the side of the Gourmet to drop ashes, and she'll be up to 300+ in less than 10 minutes.

The butts that I've done like that have been up to 197 internal within 7 to 9 hours, depending on size, and the ring has been pretty good for an amateur like myself.

Picnic007.jpg

Picnic009.jpg

BTW, that's a the Superbowl Sunday Picnic Roast, it was a huge hit!

So i officially started my first ever cook on a WSM! 7lb butt on the top rack, 2 of 3 bottom vents closed, top vent fully open and it's holding a steady 225 with the minion starting method. I have kingsford original with hickory chunks in there now so how does this sound? Should i move to the lower rack? Seems to make more sense to have it on the top since that is where the thermometer is.....btw it got a nice rub down from simply marvelous's rub, can't wait to chow down! If you have any suggestions for the cook please post them!

Back