Family Pizza Cookoff (Heavy Pron)

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Since the kids are all grown up and out of the house, me and the wifee try to host a monthly event to get everyone together. This month was a pizza bake-off.

I had some left over beef ribs in the fridge, so I chopped it up, added some additional spices and olive oil for my meat.

I bought some Philsbury Pizza dough that you just break out of the container and unroll (this stuff is fantastic!). I pre-baked it for about 5 minutes on Piglet (my Aussie Charcoal Grill), and added my toppings. The sauce was some of my homemade competition blend, that I added a nice dose of a rosemary-infused Italian seasoning. Piglet cooked it perfectly...

Then it was time for judging, memphis is may style! I had to setup a small presentation table and tell my story of how the cook went down.

The pizza tasted amazing! The Judges, my wife, mother-in-law, and my son-in-law were judges, and they loved it!

I had some serious competition though. In fact, I came in 2nd place overall! The winner was my one of my twin daughters VEGETARIAN buffalo wing pizza made entirely from vegetarian products... I have to admit, it was amazing, and you couldn't tell it was vegetarian...

Here are the other entries...

My son made a huge, tasty, gut-busting 3-meat stuffed pizza! This one came in 3rd place. Dude was so mad too! :grin:

My other twin daughter (vegetarian also) made a stuffed-crust, bbq veggie pizza!

My youngest daughter (her hubby was a judge) made a biscuit crust breakfast pizza, w/grape jelly as the sauce, eggs, hash browns, bacon, and sausage. Wow! It was good! This would be a great breakfast to have at a BBQ competition after a long night of cooking and tending smokers!

My daughters friend made a Prosciutto flat bread pizza.

We had a great time, and I thought I would share with you all! :grin:

I wish (maybe hope) that someday when my kids are grown up we can have fun like this. Right now with a split family and busy schedules time is not on our side. I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks!

Killer creativity on those pies! Looks like a great family time to, cool!!

I just started doing something similar with my kids, although they are 6 and 8 so everyone gets a trophy for now. I get some dough balls from a friends pizza joint. ( it is a good thing he makes the best pizza around ) You should ask your favorite pizza place if they will sell you dough balls.
Believe it or not somewhere in that pizza it says SAM.

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 237
I too have used the pillsbury, a little thick for my liking. Try calling around to the local pizza places, there is always one that sell their dough. If not, I know trader jokes has some decent dough and so does Safeway.

All the pies look excellent!

Great looking pies! I especially like the jelly idea on the breakfast pie. Sounds like a blast!!
We do something similar when we fire the WFO, but feeding and beveraging is enough for their egos. ..

Back