THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I'll call it face bacon since that is what one of my friends on FB called his and this one is just an approximation of his efforts. You could make the argument that is a "coppa di testa" of sorts, but regardless of the name it is just a cured, rolled, smoked pig face. There are some differences, but my gut feeling is that many on this site won't care. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, on with things. Picked up a pig head. I was pretty disappointed when I unwrapped it since the jowls were cut a little tight and it was pretty poorly cleaned, but the show must go on.

First order of business was to get that hair off of there. I took a disposable razor to it, but that was getting me no where fast. Grabbed the propane torch and made somewhat short work of it.......although I really should have done that outside of the house. :oops:

Gave it a good scrap with a knife, removed the ears, got ready for the fun stuff.

Did my best to remove the skin and meat in all one piece. Only had a couple of hiccups along the way where things were thin.

One that was complete, I hit it with a simple mix of 2.5% sea salt, 1.25% brown sugar, and .25% cure #1. Rubbed both the skin and meat side.

Vacuum packed and into the fridge for 7 days.

After 7 days, I took it out of the bag, gave it a rinse, and back in the fridge on a rack over night.

The next day, I hung it up in the smoker for a cold smoke session. Cherry wood for the smoke.

Didn't really time it, but put it up early in the morning and took it out late in the evening and back in the fridge.

Next morning, gave it trim, roll, and tie.

Into a vac bag again into the sous vide @ 165 degrees for 10 hours.

After 10 hours, took it out the bag to dry and inspect.

Back into a fresh bag for overnight.

Last night was the night. Removed from the bag. I was really surprised by how it looked. Looked like it was made of plastic. I wish the pic could have captured it better.

Cut it open to see what I had to deal with.

Oh man, it really looked nice. Ran a bit through the slicer to try.

It was excellent. Very pleased with it. Tasted like ham and the sous vide trick made the skin to where it was not a problem to eat.

Cut off a thicker round to try it fried.

Oh man.........I liked it just fine sliced cold, but it really shined once cooked like bacon. Some homemade bread and a cheddar cheese and I was in business.

Fun project, pleased with the outcome, and it always makes me happy to utilize the "throw away" parts of the pig.

Sir that is a thing of beauty. I am stunned as to how good that appears to be, way to go.

Thanks. I knew it was good when my wife tried and said she would have a face BLT. She is cool with trying the different things that I make, but it has to be spot on before she asks for more.

Is that a razor with the purple handle in the first pic?
Did you have to give it a shave before cleaning?

That is. It was damn near useless on this one though. I have used disposables in the past to clean things up with pretty good success, but there was so much with this one that after the burn I mostly just scraped it with the knife. A few spots got the razor treatment, but really I would still be fooling with it if I didn't use a knife.

Nice Joe! That looks like it came out about perfect. Really nice job on the roll and tie. When are you making face pancetta?

Did you make head cheese with the rest of the head? Did you get all the jowls off with the face, or did you cut them out separately for guanciale?

Did you make head cheese with the rest of the head? Did you get all the jowls off with the face, or did you cut them out separately for guanciale?

The rest of the head is in the freezer, probably for head cheese or something similar. I have about 5 pounds of pulled head meat already and my pig guy said he will have 6 more heads for me on Saturday. :shock: Kind of glad that the ones he gives me generally have the jowls removed. Less to deal with.

The jowls are with the face. I wish I had a pic with a better angle of the removed face. In the cut shot, the jowl is the part that kind of looks a bit like bacon. One kind of wrapped around the other where I happened to make that first cut.

What did you do with the rest of the head

Nothing yet. I have a surplus of head meat in the freezer. I have made tamales, tacos, sandwiches, pizza topping, running out of ideas. I get skinned heads for free and almost need to start turning them down, but I had to see them get tossed.

Wow! amazing job and post. My wife had a hard time with the nose/snout, do/did you eat that as well?

Not yet, yesterday was the first time cracking it open and I just kind of cut it in half since I wanted to see how it looked. I plan on eating when I get to it, but now that you mention it, I might just have to give it a whirl tonight.

Not yet, yesterday was the first time cracking it open and I just kind of cut it in half since I wanted to see how it looked. I plan on eating when I get to it, but now that you mention it, I might just have to give it a whirl tonight.

Post your thoughts on the snout.

Back