Experiments in ribs: Think I found my ideal time and temp!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Back story: For many, many years I used basically the cheapest offset smokers available. You know the type: super thin metal, they leak smoke all over, can't hold temp to save their lives, and the firebox rusts through in a few years no matter how well you take care of it. Most of them didn't have thermometers, and the ones that did...well, you know how reliable the thermometers that come with those pits are. I'm definitely not talking down on those smokers...matter of fact, I'll always have a soft spot for them as they taught me the finer points of fire management and smoking. My point in mentioning them was that I had learned over the years to do the "hand over the smokestack test" to gauge temp and not use a thermometer. About a 5-7 second count was where I used to shoot for to cook my ribs. I usually used the 3-2-1 method, and turned out what I considered to be some darn good ribs.

A few months back, I was fortunate enough to have been gifted a custom built smoker from a friend of mine who didn't really have a use for it after having it passed down from a family member. Beautiful, sturdy thing made out of 3/8" pipe steel with a 7 foot stack and a nice big firebox. I couldn't be more grateful for it. I cleaned it up and replaced the two old thermometers with Tel-Tru's, so for the first time I was able to reliably tell the actual temperature in my cook chamber. In the few months since I brought it home, I have been smoking ribs (and the one disastrous brisket I posted about last week...) like it was my job. My wife has been...very patient with the long hours spent in the backyard and the constant smell of oak smoke. :biggrin1:

Anyhow, I have usually (intentionally) cooked my ribs slightly on the overcooked side to where they will hold together when cut but pretty much pull right off the bone with the first bite. That’s how the family/friends I cook for seem to prefer it, and that IMO is kinda where the 3-2-1 method will end up. Lately, I’ve been experimenting for funsies with going for “competition done” instead, as well as trying out shorter cook times and hotter temps, and it’s been interesting! Figured I’d share the results of my experiments with y’all:

225 degrees, 3-2-1 method, half hour rest: Looks like 225 is right about where I had been cooking for all those thermometer-less years. These were pretty much the standard ribs I had been turning out previously. No difference.

275 degrees, 2 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, half hour rest: Ribs were way overcooked, falling off the bone even while cutting them. Too hot?

250 degrees, 3 hours unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped, half hour rest: This hit right at “Competition” doneness, meat pulled away cleanly showing the bite mark but the rest remained on the bone.

250 degrees, 3 hours unwrapped, 1.5 hours wrapped, half hour rest: Bingo! I think this is the perfect doneness for me. Meat pulled away cleanly, showing the bite mark and the rest just BARELY remained on the bone. Arguably very slightly overcooked but I guess I prefer it.The perfect compromise!

Glad you found a happy medium! IMnotalwayHO, 275 isnt too hot, but probably having them in foil for 2 hours, caused them to be too tender. I do ribs on my UDS from 260 to 290, and smoke for 2 hours, then wrap until they bend good but dont break.

congrats on finding your perfect temp. One thing I like about ribs is how much latitude you have in cooking them.

With ribs I stopped watching the temp. I set it to where it should be and if its a little high or low its fine. Im cooking hot and fast nowadays. The last rib cook i did it started at 400 degrees, then I tried to bring it down and it came down to 250, so I bumped it back up and when I went back to check the pit was at 500 degrees and the ribs were done. They were some of the best ribs Ive ever had.

Thanks for post. What kind of pork ribs are we talking about?

Thing I finally learned is that the rib time is very specific to the amount of air moving through the smoker. Ribs on my offset cook way faster than smoker with very little air flow such as BGE.

Thanks for post. What kind of pork ribs are we talking about?

Thing I finally learned is that the rib time is very specific to the amount of air moving through the smoker. Ribs on my offset cook way faster than smoker with very little air flow such as BGE.

Hey charcoalwilly! I use spares that I trim down to St. Louis cut (to save a bit of money and also so I can have the trimmings as a snack after a couple hours and a couple beers :biggrin1:).

It's nice to find a ballpark to play in, just keep in mind that no 2 pigs are the same, weather changes and wood doesn't all burn at the same rate and temperature.

Larry

Would love to see some pics of your new smoker.

Sounds like you have learned rule #1. It's done when it's done. Do you do the rib bend test?

Yup! Once right before wrapping and once after unwrapping to see where it ended up.

I like 250 a lot myself. Not a big believer in cooking based on time, but I do agree that it’s a good “ballpark” idea. I cook @ 250 until I’m happy with color and bark. Then wrap with butcher paper. BP doesn’t accelerate time much, if any, but it does protect color and bark. Use the bend test and probing to decide when done. Then the most important part - rest. Then the best part - eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back