Excited/Planning for Big Charity Cook on my SF (Mar 4)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Little over a week to go for a local competition(Sip & Swine) that's in its second year (only 10-15mins from the house). Last year instead of competing which is just way too much effort :twitch:, we helped the charity to vend and sell food with the proceeds going to the shelter. We're cooking that Saturday of the event.

We did 80lbs of boneless skinless thighs for pulled chicken tacos and 24 racks of st louis and had the SF pretty full. So plan is to be smart and since the cooker will be as full as last year (Pic below) I'm going to be "modest" and double the quantity and shove as much meat as I can get in there :loco:.
PjMkmgtl.jpg

So 4 cases of thighs 160lbs and 6 cases ribs (or possibly a little more) for 48 racks of st louis. Also made up about 80lbs of slaw, but there was tons of leftovers there so won't double that.

Will be watching the weather since that will be a factor as how much I will end up actually getting, but if it's as nice as last year (when we sold everything out) I'll probably double it. Just didn't know what to expect in terms of turn out last year so kept estimates reasonable to not have excess.

Luckily I kept my checklist from last year so easier to go through what I need to get. Was a lot of fun and way more fun than competing as I still get to cook, but don't don't spend a ton of $ and then cry a lot later after the results :becky:. Super excited! I love planning for this type of stuff :-D

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to the pics of you trying to stuff that much meat in the cooker that was filled to the gils last year. May have to stop by the event and sample some of the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily I kept my checklist from last year so easier to go through what I need to get. Was a lot of fun and way more fun than competing as I still get to cook, but don't don't spend a ton of $ and then cry a lot later after the results :becky:. Super excited! I love planning for this type of stuff :-D

You don't cry after every cook like I do? I thought that was the normal thing to do. :twitch:

It's good you get to have fun and support a great cause at the same time.

You don't cry after every cook like I do? I thought that was the normal thing to do. :twitch:

It's good you get to have fun and support a great cause at the same time.

I've been trying to man up a little more recently. So down to crying about 84% of the time :biggrin1:

I'm looking forward to this. You know how to handle a big cook and pull it off smoothly.

Starting to work on the food rotation in my head. If I had one extra rack (since I have the 5 slider holders for different positions) it would make life easier. 12 full pans of chicken with double the ribs I might just cook 2 batches of chicken since they don't take but 2hrs or use the warmer to cook, which I just used to hold meat last time. I can get 6 full pans in the warmer if needed and then just use coolers/cambro for holding.

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to the pics of you trying to stuff that much meat in the cooker that was filled to the gils last year. May have to stop by the event and sample some of the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really was a nice event/competition. Lots of vendors, music and space to hang out. Come on!

I think we are going to run up for Sip & Swine, getting in Friday afternoon. The organizer said it is OK to park the motorhome at the venue so we will be onsidethrough Sunday morning. Let me know if y'all need any help.

I think we are going to run up for Sip & Swine, getting in Friday afternoon. The organizer said it is OK to park the motorhome at the venue so we will be onsidethrough Sunday morning. Let me know if y'all need any help.

Awesome! I figured they would have the room as it is at the g-braves stadium and the parking lot is huge.

Definitely swing on by. I have 4-5 folks coming to assist, but could always use help drinking beer :mrgreen:.

The old lady, my baby girl (18 months), & I are gonna check it out Saturday. I wanna see some smokers.

I ordered a GC28 a little over a week ago!!!

This is truly a nice thing that you do Jason! Good thing having 30" width to play with in your cooker. Are you going to cook in the warmer too or just hold? I have an old high school friend living in the Atlanta area and I mentioned your event to her.
Have fun.:whoo:

The old lady, my baby girl (18 months), & I are gonna check it out Saturday. I wanna see some smokers.

I ordered a GC28 a little over a week ago!!!

Awesome. Lots of deeps south's will be rolling that weekend there :-D. This is as big a contest around Atlanta as it gets during the year. The organizer is a great guy and last year we a big success.

Fingers crossed for good weather. I try to not look at the forecast this far out since it isn't accurate, but uppers 60's and sunny would be very nice!

This is truly a nice thing that you do Jason! Good thing having 30" width to play with in your cooker. Are you going to cook in the warmer too or just hold? I have an old high school friend living in the Atlanta area and I mentioned your event to her.
Have fun.:whoo:

My initial thinking is to use the warmer as a warmer and just do 2 batches of chicken (6pans each). First chicken off at 11am right before we start to serve and then put the 2nd batch on which would be done by 1'ish. If i snug up all the ribs I bet I can get double on 2 racks. I've ran it with meat just about touching and it still cooks pretty evenly. Ribs not being thick like having a bunch of butt touching isn't an issue.

Really good thing you guys are doing. :thumb:
And people think a 4th rack is overkill. :heh:

Really good thing you guys are doing. :thumb:
And people think a 4th rack is overkill. :heh:

This would be the first time I'd need it since i got it a year ago. Maybe I'll get a local fabricator to build me one more for things like this :-D

I remember this from last year too. Wish we were closer. Sounds like a lot of fun for a good cause...

Back