Ever had your brisket turn out so well you...

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
...almost wake up your wife about it? Almost...

Worked all weekend but I am off tomorrow so I fired up the Shirley for my first long-ish cook on it. I did a 12lb prime packer from Costco, fairly aggressively trimmed down to about 9lbs. The brisket got a moderate coating of "Cooper's Old Time" rub, which is a larger granule salt and pepper based mixture I tend to like. I placed the brisket on the top rack where temp typically hovered around 275*. It went right at 9 hours before probing tender in the flat and point, around 199* (a little lower than I had pulled recently). Pink butcher paper wrapping around 4 hours in @ 165*.

I also played around with a couple "butterflied" pork butts weighing a little over 4lbs each. These cooked for about 6 hours at ~250*. I'm not real happy with the trim and the shape of the muscle after cooking, but taste wise both the sliced "money muscle" and the pulled part were quite tasty. No injection. I used Smoking Guns Hot on these and I thought it worked pretty well. I'm low on rub and gave this a whirl.

I think this was the best brisket I've done to date, both in texture and flavor....first time brisket on a stick burner and I'm hooked...exactly what I was after.

Last edited:
Strong work there!

Yep, it's a great feeling . . . but I still ain't waking up my wife.

My wife would be angry if I didn't wake her up about brisket. She LOVES brisket!!!

And she'd love that brisket. Looks amazing. :p

Back